Discuss Good Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net

L

LCV

Hi,

I am planning a house renovation and need to improve the fire alarms in the house to comply with Building Control:
- heat detector in the kitchen and linked smoke alarms throughout the house.
- Install a mist system on the ground floor risk area.

I would be grateful if you could recommend good quality brands I could use. I would also like to have a wired in a carbon monoxide alarm.

How much should I budget to have these installed?

Many thanks!

You need to provide more information on the type / grade of system needed to comply with BC as to budget it is anybodies guess without any information about the building and number of detectors required

A house renovation will not be on the radar of building control unless its change of use or involves structural changes.

So what does the "renovation" include?

Not trying to be awkward, but by not declaring the "full information" you could get incorrect information off a forum which could cost you a lot of money down the line.....

Aico Ei166RC for optical smokes, and Ei164RC for heat. An Aico Ei261DENRC for carbon monoxide.

i fit loads of these, don't go wasting your time with mains powered ones with batteries you need to change, these have 10 year sealed backup batteries as well as mains.

You can go radio linked but personally think the wired ones are better.

if it's a full rewire or renovation I will always fit a Grade D LD2 system.

costs of the alarms, can't think of whT the C02 alarm costs, but the Ei166RC is £32 and the Ei166RC I pay £33, I get them from Eddies and think the price is good.

Aico Ei166RC for optical smokes, and Ei164RC for heat. An Aico Ei261DENRC for carbon monoxide.

i fit loads of these, don't go wasting your time with mains powered ones with batteries you need to change, these have 10 year sealed backup batteries as well as mains.

You can go radio linked but personally think the wired ones are better.

if it's a full rewire or renovation I will always fit a Grade D LD2 system.

costs of the alarms, can't think of whT the C02 alarm costs, but the Ei166RC is £32 and the Ei166RC I pay £33, I get them from Eddies and think the price is good.

Sounds like Jekyll and Hyde responses is it wired or wireless you prefer

You forgot to mention the location switch that is needed when fitting a CO detector with fire detectors

As posted, we don`t know the Grade of system BC have requested yet....so until the op can give the info....everything else will be guess work

We fit deta wired alarms with a battery backup and there not too bad on the wallet but i prefer fitting the Aico Alarms as you have a more diverse setup. They look better too and take seconds to fit.

This has nowt to do with the OP, but the Aico CO alarms will need the sensors changing in 6 years. Do you advise your client of this?

Hi,

I am planning a house renovation and need to improve the fire alarms in the house to comply with Building Control:
- heat detector in the kitchen and linked smoke alarms throughout the house.
- Install a mist system on the ground floor risk area.

I would be grateful if you could recommend good quality brands I could use. I would also like to have a wired in a carbon monoxide alarm.

How much should I budget to have these installed?

Many thanks!

As you are a DIY member I assume you aren't taking on the task of installing this.
Get a couple of local electricians in to quote, and have to hand what level of system BC require.

This has nowt to do with the OP, but the Aico CO alarms will need the sensors changing in 6 years. Do you advise your client of this?

I don't state exactly six years, i tell them to replace thm by the expiry date on the side and point it out to them, I do the same with the smoke alarms.

Last time I fitted an Aico CO detector the sensor change was 5 years and the complete detector after 10 years. The new CO detectors they are producing have a sensor life of 10 years not sure they are available to buy yet

Reply to Good Smoke Alarms and Carbon Monoxide Alarm in the Electrical Tools and Products area at ElectriciansForums.net