Discuss Green OK light in emergency bulkhead lamps. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

1Justin

-
Arms
Reaction score
To speed me along with a quote since this is all taking too long and I haven't taken a penny yet.

Q) Would a modern LED bulkhead emergency light have a green indicator LED for any reason other than proving that it's a "self test" type in working condition?
(In other words do non-self-test EM lamps ever have green indicator lamps? - And if so, what for?)

(And before you ask..Yes, I could return and spend more overhead time on a complicated site to take things apart, but needing to short-cut here for a quote, and using my site photos.)

green LED indicates the presence of the mains supply.

I kind of thought that might be all it was . Got an old site with a load of horrible old lamps (failed) and some newer ones, but the owner has no records or any info or any procedures or testing records. Looks like they probably aren't self test then (most likely since it was done on the cheap), which clears things up.

What do YOU mean by "self test".

The test that I know involves turning off the supply ( or operating the test switch) and seeing if the light operates.

It's not an automatic process.

Some fittings have self test components. A green indicator means a mains supply is present, red that the batteries are charging, flashing red can indicate a charging problem. These can be separate leds or combined into one led and can vary between manufacturer.

Some fittings have self test components. A green indicator means a mains supply is present, red that the batteries are charging, flashing red can indicate a charging problem. These can be separate leds or combined into one led and can vary between manufacturer.
bloody electrinics. now you need a manual to find out what light and what colour means.

Was doing a fixed test last week and the old modulars had been replaced with LED panels. Had no idea what was going on with the emergency fittings, they flashed red, flashed green, changed from green to red. None operated though so I guess it blew the installers mind too.

Some of the old EM lights have a red light to indicate power to the fitting and (potentially) battery charging.
But as far as I know for modern ones green is "power on" (and battery charging) however I do not know about self test ones.

What do YOU mean by "self test".

The test that I know involves turning off the supply ( or operating the test switch) and seeing if the light operates.

It's not an automatic process.

Self test is defined in BS EN 62034 as one way to meet the need to do monthly/annual tests as defined in BS 5266- without having to physically isolate each light in turn and monitor it. Lamps cost more, but they switch themselves using an internal timer, and put a load on their battery and monitor it.
User still needs to keep monthly logs, but a green light means it's all going OK, so no need to do physical tests.

Quite correct Richard until all was harmonised and the red became green. It generally only indicates a mains supply in non self test fittings although in the old days of tungsten lamps I think, and I stand to be corrected the lamp filament formed part of the charge circuit in some way and if the filament was gone the LED extinguished.

Self test is defined in BS EN 62034 as one way to meet the need to do monthly/annual tests as defined in BS 5266- without having to physically isolate each light in turn and monitor it. Lamps cost more, but they switch themselves using an internal timer, and put a load on their battery and monitor it.
User still needs to keep monthly logs, but a green light means it's all going OK, so no need to do physical tests.
Not sure the bulkhead self test fittings will carry out an annual duration test, they are generally monitoring the charge/battery condition.

"Self test" I think in this context is a very particular thing, and that's why there's a BS for it. It does include the annual 3 hour test. Lights in a batch have staggered clocks so they don't all go together.
I'm sure there is some sort of red/green flashing code LOL, meaningless without the manual, which would indicate when it's doing this.

I had to Google some Menvier ones a while back to understand the indicators. This self test you talk of with a staggered duration test is this from a control panel because I cannot see how self contained fittings would achieve this.

FYI From Ansell:
"The self test unit inside this product is designed to test the fitting in accordance with current legislation BS EN 62034:2012.  When the unit is first installed the fitting will randomly select a test date of between 200 and 365 Days.  Once this date is set it will continue to test at the same time every year for a full 3 hour test.  Once the product has been on charge for 24hrs, the luminaire will discharge for 5 seconds for test purposes.  Every 30 days the installation will be tested for 10 minutes.  The luminaire will show a constant Green LED in normal condition."

Copied this from Thorn Lighting manual.
Our factory and offices have a mix of self-test and standard units.
The self test units are a lot more expensive but does save quite a bit of time.
As previously said they still need recording as being tested but it's just a visual as to what colour the LED is.

Screenshot_2017-04-04-10-38-51.png

Was doing a fixed test last week and the old modulars had been replaced with LED panels. Had no idea what was going on with the emergency fittings, they flashed red, flashed green, changed from green to red. None operated though so I guess it blew the installers mind too.

If they turned amber after all that lot,maybe it is indicating its time to pack up the tools and go home

So you had a little dance party instead?

Reply to Green OK light in emergency bulkhead lamps. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net