Discuss Guidance Note Books in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

WallaceP

-
Arms
Reaction score
Hi guys. Just wondering if any one uses the IET guidance notes 1-8. I mostly refer to my regs books or on site guide and I'm wondering if they are worth buying?

They do provide more background information and can be useful, GN3 is the obvious one that does give details on the inspection and testing used all the time. however the cost does mount up rapidly.
GN1 is OK, at least it is a big book!, GN2 a bit sparse, GN 4 not too bad, GN 5 and 6 are OK and relevant, GN7 (just come out) can be useful if you do a lot of work on special locations, GN8 is a handy reference for understanding earthing and bonding.
Obviously they are all guidance and BS7671 should cover everything but the IET interpretation of BS7671 can help (and hinder) at times.
Perhaps the commentary on the wiring regulations may be more useful as a BS7671 explanation?

They do provide more background information and can be useful, GN3 is the obvious one that does give details on the inspection and testing used all the time. however the cost does mount up rapidly.
GN1 is OK, at least it is a big book!, GN2 a bit sparse, GN 4 not too bad, GN 5 and 6 are OK and relevant, GN7 (just come out) can be useful if you do a lot of work on special locations, GN8 is a handy reference for understanding earthing and bonding.
Obviously they are all guidance and BS7671 should cover everything but the IET interpretation of BS7671 can help (and hinder) at times.
:iagree: I agree with the above. :)
Perhaps the commentary on the wiring regulations may be more useful as a BS7671 explanation?
Ordered this from the IET back in February. Latest estimate for delivery is October.:32:

got them all send me a pm for more info

Last edited by a moderator:
I would delete your post #6 theguz if I was you. Or at least re-word it.

Reply to Guidance Note Books in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock