Discuss Hager RCD faliure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

W

woz

Hi all,
I had a Hager CD282U 80A RCD fitted to a Tenby consumer unit. Yesterday I had the electric oven on, the computer, plasma and was playing loud music through the AV amplifier. The sockets went off followed by a buzzing from the consumer unit. The sockets then came back on, each socket in the house buzzed then went off. I went to the consumer unit, carefully took the cover off and saw the neutral connection at the bottom right of the Hager RCD was sparking. All the connections to the RCD were very tight, it'd just been put in 2 months ago to replace a 63A tenby unit. No fuses had tripped.

I've removed the RCD now and put the Tenby back in. The plastic surrounding the connection on the Hager is melted and the clamp is blackened as was the crimped end on the neutral cable. Could it be that I was drawing too much power at the time and the RCD catastrophically failed? I was under the impression that Hager were quite good.

Sounds like a bad connection, you say the connection was tight but I have known the clamp screw to be welded with the arcing. You cant move it but still pull the cable out.

It does sound like that but it was tight, I know because I put it in myself. The crimp is also tight on cable. You're right, it was very difficult to unscrew with the arcing.

I can't imagine any way you could possibly have been drawing too much current. Either a poor connection or a faulty RCD would be my guess. I like Hager and use them a lot. Have your wholesaler send it back to Hager for comment (and you may get another foc too).

Regards

It does sound like that but it was tight, I know because I put it in myself. The crimp is also tight on cable. You're right, it was very difficult to unscrew with the arcing.

What were the results of the ramp test when you installed it?

I can't imagine any way you could possibly have been drawing too much current. Either a poor connection or a faulty RCD would be my guess. I like Hager and use them a lot. Have your wholesaler send it back to Hager for comment (and you may get another foc too).

Regards

You might struggle with that, warranty and insurance only apply if you fit RCDs, MCBs, RCBOs etc into a board made by the same manufacturer.

Reply to Hager RCD faliure in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock