Discuss Halogen candle bulbs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

H

Happy Harry

We have two wrought iron light fittings in our lounge that take five candle lamps in each. Using 25watt incandescent bulbs gives the right amount of light and with a clear envelope the sparkly filament looks good. With the onset of energy saving bulbs we find the compact fluorescents very unsightly with their large white base and diffuse envelope but we have just found that our local supermarket is selling off, as end of line, some Philips 28watt 240volt dimmable halogen lamps so we bought their remaining stock.

The whole compliment of ten lamps in the two fittings makes the room excessively bright and although the sparkly points of light looks just as good as the incandescent filaments they are so bright as to be damaging to the eyes if viewed directly. Obviously dimming is the answer. The only trouble is that the only dimmers we can find are either just suitable for low voltage halogens or can only cope with 50% of their rated capability of 400W. The ten lamps would of course consume 280 watts and fitting a double dimmer switch is an option that we would rather not take as this would involve chasing out the wall, making good, repainting, shifting all furniture from the bedroom, removing the carpet and cutting into glue jointed tonged and grooved flooring sheets to lay additional wiring. Does anyone know of a single dimmer switch that will handle 280 watts of halogen lamps at 240volts?

sorry for delay. just seen your post. yep. a 700 watt dimmer will do fine. you may need to sink the back box deeper though. some makes of dimmer come with a 1/4" deep spacer plate which gets round this problem.

Thanks telectrix,
I've just searched Ebay for 700W dimmers and come up with some. When I searched before I put in various wattages and didn't come up with anything suitable and if I didn't specify a wattage then only 400W came up. Not cheap, are they!

Reply to Halogen candle bulbs in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock