Discuss Halogen Maddness!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Billybalata

Hi i posted once before with a problem with my house alarm which i was able to solve with some advice thanks guy

My new problem is this

The house i have bought has 50w halogen spots all over the up stairs put in by the first owner.

Sadly the next owner put a loft floor in that covers several of these spots(groan)

Now the bedroom spots have failed causing the whole house to trip when switched on at the wall and one of the 4 of them is well hidden under the loft floor and the units can only be removed from above.

Now although i hold a full city and guilds in electro and electromechanical engineering i am a bit rusty and not shy to call a qualified sparky in on this one.

Question is it likely that one of the holder units has gone short or is it more likely to be a problem common to all 4 units.

I really need to know if i will have to rip part of the loft floor up before i call a sparky in.

If its likely to be just one of the units i could buy a new one and swap round between the 3 i have access to and hope to get lucky.

Any advice gratefully received

Cheers Bill

Last edited by a moderator:
Sorry i forgot to mention they are all gu10 lamps and none of them have blown.

Billy, it's quite common for the fuse to trip when a GU10 goes. I think it unlikely that the holders were fitted from the loft, they should just pull out of the ceiling on spring clips. Changing the lamp can sometimes be a pain but it doesn't need a sparky. With holder out of ceiling push lamp towards holder and twist anticlockwise, similar action to bayonet fitting. If you can't grip lamp firmly enough wrap elastic bands around your fingers and try again. Steve.

Hi ifindoubtdont..............i tested all 4 lamps and they are ok................i will give your advice on removal ago but they seem to be fixed in from the top with circlips........ get the feeling these were not fitted by a pro..............its not just the upstairs light circuit that trips but the whole house......do you think its probably one of the 4 lamp holders that has failed?

cheers for your prompt reply Bill

Billy, they can be a bit tricky to get out of the ceiling sometimes but when you get your fingers under the edge you will feel the spring start to give. How have you tested the lamps. Is it the RCD that has tripped. When reset does it still trip when using this set of lights if so you might need a sparky in with proper test equipment. If you post your home town someone on here might be nearby to help. Steve.

Sorry i forgot to say...when this first happened i thought right reset the breakers and see what lamp has failed............but as soon as i flick the bedroom light switch the whole board trips again?...........even with all 4 lamps removed............i tested the lamps by putting them in other holders....there are almost 20 upstairs !!

Thanks for the advice up to now.........i am off to work now so please dont think i am rubbering any other replys..............i will answer tomorow

Cheers Bill

You say the whole board trips, eg:- all of the breakers. Or just the RCD or main breaker. Another thought, have you been doing any other diy like hanging pictures or putting shelves up, it may point us in the right direction.

No diy..............but its been a few weeks since this happened.........i think it was just the main breaker...........but i will rewire it tomorrow and post exactly what is happening...........i have removed one of the holders as the wife and i keep forgetting the consequences of putting the bedroom light switch on lol

Thanks for the advice up to now good night

There's a good chance that the heat has melted a mains cable, shorting line to cpc. Unlikely to be neutral, as it only trips the RCD when you switch the lights on. It could even be a nail or screw through a cable which has now manifested itself. Either way, it would be a good idea to get a good sparky to advise you on this setup, as there could be fire potential with covered halogens.

I'd also go with the damaged wiring/cable theory, sounds like you'll need to expose the cabling in the loft to find the problem. There's a good chance the fault will be visible once you exposed the cables but if it's not you can either rewire the lot which shouldn't take long or you'll need a multimeter and possibly a mega tester to find the fault.

best thin g is to get a sparks in to find the problem, fix it, don and dusted safely. your location posted would likely find a member close to you.

Just finished my night shift..........so nice to see so many help full posts as i got a bit of stick over my alarm problem(skinflint get a sparky in!!) which turned out just to be a flat battery just as i suspected after being switched off after a year as my cat kept setting off the censors.

All the wiring of these lamps(over 20) which run through my loft looks pretty poor compared to the standards i was taught in the RAF so i think i will call a sparky in...........but i will isolated each lamp holder in turn first just to see..............but yes i strongly suspect a shorted cable.........thanks again guys.....will post again after my attempts to isolate each lamp holder.

I have done dozens of dIY electrical jobs and have never ever botched even one...........but thats because i know my limits and have always called in a pro when i have realized i am out my comfort zone.

Will post again after my experiments.............allowing for the fact the house hasnt been raised to the ground lol..............in my old job as an avionics tech i always called in a sparky if i isolated the fault to a cabling fault...............nothing has changed in that respect.

Thanks again for the friendly advice

Regards Bill

I'd also go with the damaged wiring/cable theory, sounds like you'll need to expose the cabling in the loft to find the problem. There's a good chance the fault will be visible once you exposed the cables but if it's not you can either rewire the lot which shouldn't take long or you'll need a multimeter and possibly a mega tester to find the fault.

AVOS(multimeters) and continunity testers(megas) now that brings back some memories.............but mainly just for charging up capacitors then ----ing them at folk to catch lol...............looking more and more like a qualified sparky.............cheers for the advice

Come across this problem more than once. It could just be the lamp holder wires or terminal block melting over time with the heat from the lamp. Plus now the extra insulation from the floor boarding in the loft (reduced air flow and build up of heat over time).

Switch off the main iso at the CU for the entire house, test for dead, take out each of the bedrooms lamp holders and look for burning/melting. Replace any damaged parts. Switch back on and see if it trips the RCD again. If that does not work, get a spark in to run a test on the full circuit but I would assume cable damage from the switch to the bedroom lights and loft floor boards would have to come up to be able to fix it.

maybe they're those horrible fittings that have the weird springs like bat wings that rip the ceiling to bits when you try and remove them. if the OP poated his location, a member should be close to him to call and have a look at it

Cheers.......this along the lines of what i a thinking(or at least hoping) that its a lamp holder..........and yes they are under loft insulation.

Yes its those nasty batwing type spring clips.........i am in Dundee oi Scotland by the way and would welcome a quote.

Have managed to remove the lamp that is under the loft floor along with a good bit of the plasterboard that was obviously heat damaged...........wow!!!! to say the whole thing is burnt to a crisp is a massive understatement..........lamp holder is brown.......terminal block is browner still and all 4 wires are completely bare of insulation all black as night and i suspect shorting each other out.
There is plenty spare cable so i could repair with a new lamp holder but this will only be storing up a problem for us or the next owners,its obviously just to hot under the extra loft flooring

We dont even use them much as we usually just use the 2 bedroom table lights though the last owners may have used them more.

Guess its time to remove them and replace with a centre light but i will have to lift the loft floor first to get at all the cabling..........missus will of course want all this done by yesterday.

Time to call in a good plasterer(groan)..........if he/she is great then they may be able to patch the 4 holes near invisibly.........but i suspect a complete skim of the ceiling will be needed

Next problem is to figure out how many more spots are stuck under the loft floor and have a look at them.

Thanks for all the help guys.

P.S.....a special thanks to PAUL.M..........you had it spot on mate(if you will pardon the pun!!)

replace damaged fittings, clear insulation from around fittings, then relamp with GU10 LEDs. overheating problem solved.

Reply to Halogen Maddness!! in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock