Discuss Hand Dryer Heights in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, Does anyone know of the legal minimum/maximum heights for hand dryers in;
1)Normal WC's
2)Disabled WC's
3)Childrens WC's

We fit alot at work and it's one of those things that nobody seems certain on the heights. Had a quick flick through the regs and OSG and can't find them.
Thanks
James

Hair getting dry = Too high.
Balls getting warm = Too low.

Simples... :lol:

This is covered by Part M of the Building Regs see approved document M, and is between 400mm and 1200mm, in the document it states preferably (for disabled access) at the lower end of this scale, obviously you would need to use some common sense and make the unit accessable for the purposes it is intended for.

Planning Portal - Approved documents

Last edited:
As above, light switches 1200 to top of switch, sockets at 400 to bottom, we always fit Hand dryers at 1200 top of dryer standard WC, 1000 in disabled although I would look at manufacturers recommendations too, and type of hand dryer, some of those "blade" dryers wwould need to be lower

This annoyed me for many years, and instructions never clearly state heights for different users.

I eventually found a document with recommended heights, and recorded the information for future use.

Heights to Bottom:

Gents: 1200mm (47")
Ladies: 1100mm (43")
Disabled: 1000mm (39")
Children: 900mm (35")

Hope that helps.

The heights taken from Approved Document M M1 and mentioned above for switches and sockets should be 450mm to 1200mm, not 400mm to 1200mm.

This annoyed me for many years, and instructions never clearly state heights for different users.

I eventually found a document with recommended heights, and recorded the information for future use.

Heights to Bottom:

Gents: 1200mm (47")
Ladies: 1100mm (43")
Disabled: 1000mm (39")
Children: 900mm (35")

Hope that helps.

And for a unisex toilet in a building used by families?

Sorry Adam :phone:

The heights taken from Approved Document M M1 and mentioned above for switches and sockets should be 450mm to 1200mm, not 400mm to 1200mm.

Hi Gary,

Section 4.30 Facilities other than dwellings definitely states switches outlets and controls will satisfy M1, and switches for permanently wired accessories are to be between 400mm and 1200mm.

Iam aware of the 450mm rule as the lower height for socket outlets and the like in dwellings , unless this is a mistake in AP Document M ?

Ps. this section deals with wheelchair access.

Thanks for the replies guys. It's one of those things where we always mount them at roughly the right heights, But the amount of times our Joiners want to know where to 'block out' and just thought I'd look for some hard and fast numbers.

Alhough I do think Strimers heights are the ones to go for.

Reply to Hand Dryer Heights in the Electrical Appliances Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock