Discuss Hardend steel, what cutter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I've just drilled x2 50mm holes in a 2mm stainless enclosure this afternoon at home.

Took me like 10 mins with a cordless, starret cutter and some cutting paste.

Defiantly not structural,

Try's really slow but haven't try's with paste yet will give it a go, never seen anything like tbh, thought there may be a high end cutter out there , I've got 15 of them To do so I know even with paste and low spin speed I'm going to get through 4 or 5 bits

Defiantly not structural,

Try's really slow but haven't try's with paste yet will give it a go, never seen anything like tbh, thought there may be a high end cutter out there , I've got 15 of them To do so I know even with paste and low spin speed I'm going to get through 4 or 5 bits
I think you really need to do some investigating and find out why that plate is there before you turn it into Swiss cheese. It must have a purpose and I've got doubts it will still be performing it very well after you've whacked 15 downlight holes in it. Even the most basic risk assessment would dictate you need to find out why it's there.

Starrett cutters will go through an inch of HT steel,with paste and the right speed. If the material is thick,four slots can be cut with a mini-grinder to aid clearing.
I would want to be knowing what i was perforating,before commencing.

Reply to Hardend steel, what cutter? in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Hi, Before I begin my tale of woe, I have my tin hat ready! I'm retired from the trade, I started out just as the 16th came in and had a rather...
Replies
Views
So a regular client has just had me finish doing up their flat and bought a house, been and while quoting for LED downlight etc.. they asked to...
Replies
Views
Sorry for doing this as new members probably are a pain for doing this. Recently I had a new bathroom installed in my house. I don't know any...
Replies
Views
M
All in virtually new condition on used in about a dozen jobs. Milton Keynes or surrounding area- collection. 23” Stanley Fat Max tool box...
Replies
Views
G
I have had this kit for around a month now so feel I can offer a good review of it's performance. 18V SDS drill HD18HX32. The 18V SDS runs on...
Replies
Views
oldAL
O

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock