Discuss has anyone completed 2394/5? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

A

amckay

I've posted on this subject in other areas in this forum but to no avail.
I'm taking 2394/5 combined c&g course at a training centre in Manchester on 28/7/14. I only have past experience of IR and cont testing but nothing else. I have gn3 and exam success books in the post to me for some heavy reading before the 5day course starts. I'm looking for people with experience of obtaining this qual for some input of what to expect, main areas to focus on and any potentially good website's to get past papers etc.
I've just spanked ÂŁ850 on this course and I don't want fail it.
Thanks

I have done the 2394 last year and done the 2395 just last time round so still waiting for results of the written exam for the 2395.

go on the city and guilds website , look at the cheif examiners reports for both, I'll post links in a bit for you.

generally speaking looking at the reports only 50% of people pass as it's quite hard.

I would say that unless you have sound knowledge of testing including three phase you may find it hard pushed as the written exams are closed book and you have to get a shift on with it even when you know what you are doing.

The practical in both, again you have to move quickly else you will run out if time.

badically read GN3 inside out cover to cover .

also make sure you know all the full proper names of the test equipment and regs etc and years published.

also be able to draw an rcd and fully label it, how to tats an earth electrode and label it all, fault paths, be able to draw how to tats eking circuits etc.

All of which I have zero experience. Doest look good for me. I don't suppose you have links of where I can find such things? The next two weekends is gonna be the wife n child out the house while I soak in as much as I can prior to the start of the course. Anyone reading in Manchester mind if I come along with them for free on testing jobs (especially 3phase) so I can build a bit of knowledge?

UKsparks said it all really, you need to get your terminology spot on in the written exams.
I found the time wasn't too much of an issue but not being allowed any books made it tough.
I'm also just waiting on my 2395 result, done the 2394, all the practicals and multi choice exam.
The more you know GN3 the easier it will be, the GS38 documents are worth a read too as there's always a few Qs on test leads etc, make sure you know you RCD requirements, IP codes in particular IP2X IP4X and where they're needed, Earth fault loop path etc..

As the courses are relatively new there's not much study material online but previous 2391 exams are helpful, just remember 2391 covered initial verification and periodic inspection and testing in one exam, whereas 2394 and 2395 are separate.

I did the one evening a week course and it seemed to take forever, would much rather do the week solid course like your doing.

Good luck

Last edited by a moderator:
Cheers ash. Yeah I thought about doing the one evening a week over 8weeks but decided a block course would be more beneficial in the sence of all the info I learn is fresh in my mind and easier to piece together.

I did the 2391 and to be quite honest I found it harder than the HNC which I did recently. The best advice I could give is to study GN3 and know it inside out. I went about it the way I do with all my exams, set yourself a structured study plan and make sure you stick to it. Initially give each area the same amount of time and test yourself, then focus on any areas which you think you are struggling with. There are quite a lot of past papers online, i'll have a look if I still have any and get back to you, good luck pal!

All of which I have zero experience. Doest look good for me. I don't suppose you have links of where I can find such things? The next two weekends is gonna be the wife n child out the house while I soak in as much as I can prior to the start of the course. Anyone reading in Manchester mind if I come along with them for free on testing jobs (especially 3phase) so I can build a bit of knowledge?
The chief examiners reports mention by uksparks are on the city and guilds website at these locations
2394: Initial and Fundamental Inspection and Testing qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds
2395: Periodic inspection and testing qualifications and training courses | City & Guilds

This should go directly to the documents tab and then under additional documents click the plus and the CER for each exam are available for download as pdfs.
They will point you in the direction of the areas most failed at in the exams.

everything else has been said really.
The exam success book gives you advice on how to approach answering the questions and gives an example paper.
The only other thing I would mention is that you must remember which exam you are doing, do not start mentioning existing installations on the 2395 and do not refer to periodic inspection on the 2394.
Also the questions will be geared to initial or periodic as appropriate.

Read read read the question before answering because those chiefs at c & g do word the questions tricky.

The only good thing is the 94/95 exams from August are 2 hours used to be 1 hour 30 min.

Good luck

Thanks a lot guys your input is fantastic.
Its a shame Im starting mine end of this month as I don't think the time scale extension will apply in my case. I'll study till my eyes are sore, learn as much as I can, and let you all know how I did.
Thanks again.

Everything that has been said is great advice. I would stress - GN3... read and understand it 'till you're actually dreaming about it; being able to describe/draw fall of potential earth rod resistance and the earth fault paths for TT, TNS & TNCS are big mark winners (but you must get the detail and terminology right); read and re-read the questions to make sure you understand exactly what is being asked for;the CE comments are helpful (if a bit repetitive) but candidates keep making the same mistakes, so you must learn from them.
Study hard, ask questions here and when the time comes - relax and focus. Good luck :>)

I've got a lot of past papers even ones from this year but they are all on my computer, I've literally hundreds of them for 2392, 2394 and 2395, if anyone can suggest how I can share them read only it would be helpful... You can't do it with Dropbox.

just make sure you can quote GN3 word for word, draw and label the pictures 100% acurately, simple really. My experience is that most people who fail these exams could never be called electricians. Too many Electrical Trainee who think they can go straight onto these and expect exams (?) of the part P style.
The practical assessments which you must pass to get the qualifications can be a bit more tricky if you dont know what you're doing and it is easy to run out of time. However there are alledgedly some exam centres which dont seam to be very observant about what you do on these practicals...

Some training centres go through an entire practice paper on the morning of the exam, and amazingly it's exactly the same as the real one you sit in the afternoon.... So I've heard...

Are you saying 2395 isn't that hard? I don't know what help you got mate or else but def not an easy exams any of them.

They are not easy compared to 17th editon or part p, which basically say you turned up on exam day.

IF you can quote GN3 word for word you should get enough marks to pass. Most people cant quote GN3 word for word, try writing down exactly how to test a ring main such that you don't miss any of the things you do every day without thinking, it's not easy. Everyone and anyone can cock up an exam on the day. The good guys will know what they have done wrong before they walk out the exam room.

Many muppets do the exam thinking they will be another 17 the edition. They generally haven't got a clue why they fail.

Reply to has anyone completed 2394/5? in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock