Discuss Has wire marking changed - or what do you use. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

SteveG

-
Reaction score
When I was an apprentice sparky back in the 1970's and we were rewiring houses or first fixing new houses/flats, I was taught a marking method for T&E that seemed to be common but undocumented throughout the industry.
I'm talking specifically about lighting circuits and the loop-in system.

At the ceiling rose there would be (normally) 3 twin cables. The L&N in and out would have a notch or bite taken out on the sheathing on the red side (brown now I know) and the switch wire would have a single line across it done by pliers. If there was a second light on the same switch this would have an X on it done by pliers.
At the switch; if it was a 2 way there would be 1 twin from the light and a 3 core+e (red/yellow/blue) between the 2 way switches.
The connections at the 2 way confused me at the time as to how they worked (but they did) I only worked it out much later.
The yellow would go in the common terminal and the 2 reds in SW1 and the blue and black in SW2 (and yellow in the common at the other switch.

Not done any house wiring in 35 years. Is it still done like this?

my method has always been XX for the incoming cable, X for the outgoing, nick for switch, line across for s/l out.

hing

Not done any house wiring in 35 years. Is it still done like this?

I still use the notching , and the rest is pretty much the same, only the colours have been changed to protect the innocent. :)
I use x for switch though , and 1 and 2 notches for in and out ,3 for your other lamp if there is one .
But that is just me for some order of running.

i've also got an alternative code which i use if i don't like the guy who gets the 2nd fix. :(

Used to put two lines on strappers. (Here 3-core isn't generally used for two-way - a twin brown is used for strappers.) Also don't need to mark switch drop as twin brown. Therefore also don't need to mark permanent (although taking a nick out of the phase side of the cable is quite common).

they soon learn the error of their ways after you scribble graffiti on their newly painted walls though.

I basicly used the same as the op apart from the l/n. I just never marked these at all. So the common 3 plate would have 2 unmarked cables and one with a line for the switch drop. A cross for another light.
Why do you need to know live in live out when second fixing?

Belt and braces really. But if you bare all three off and forget which is which you have the indents on the wires to give you a clue. :)
Same here , for the odd time the

Same here really , for the odd time they have been damaged or disappeared owing to other trades.
Habit really , it only takes a minute .

I basicly used the same as the op apart from the l/n. I just never marked these at all. So the common 3 plate would have 2 unmarked cables and one with a line for the switch drop. A cross for another light.
Why do you need to know live in live out when second fixing?
sometimes you need to 2nd fix when some of the fittings are not on site, so knowing which is feed in and feed out can be useful if you need to get part of the lighting up and running.

similar side cutters method here, although loop in and loop out get a straight snip up the middle and anything else gets a number of indents across the cable that corresponds to the other end of the cable.

Reply to Has wire marking changed - or what do you use. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net