Discuss HDMI & 4K Help (Office Install) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Spunkywads26

-
Mentor
Arms
Reaction score
I went to look at an office today and was asked to provide 2 double socket outlets within the ceiling void and 4 HMDI outlets at low level with the other end attached to ceiling mounted TV brackets.

My questions is related to 4K. I have googled around but not sure of the answers I have found so hoping someone here might have the knowledge. Does HDMI 1.4 support the full 4K output or is that from HDMI 2.0?

I have found a HDMI module (Something like this)
Code:
http://www.maplin.co.uk/p/kauden-snap-in-hdmi-module-white-facing-n27jr
to fit into a single way faceplate but they all seem to be HDMI 1.4.

The client has specified they want the installation to be 4K ready.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

If its for TV HDMI 2.0 specs and if its for Computers and PC gaming get away from HDMI and use display port specs 1.4 different cable and spec doubt you will get any distance on display port though as it maxes at 3 meters

Mmmh, well HDMI is really your only choice as there isn't a viable technology available at the distances involved. the key thing here is if the subject watching those screens is watching TV ie not interacting then the 60HZ refresh rate will be fine with HDMI 2.0

If the viewer is swinging the cameras around AKA computer game then they usually want higher screen refresh rates to avoid screen tearing 60hz is usually enough but some extremists claim they can perceive the missed frames and want super smooth transitions as they swing the camera around to blow up a tank or whatever, its unlikely that normal people would be that sensitive to the issue.

To obtain higher rates some displays will use TWO HDMI 2.0 cables (think load sharing) to transfer images between PC and screen,

Games consoles use trickery, ie duplicate frames to make up for the ones it missed in transmission as do most commercial boxes blue ray players etc.

4k has only just hit 50-60hz or (frames a sec) with the recent introduction of HDMI 2.0

4k was previously supported on HDMI 1.4 and it only supported 24 frames per second ok for films sometimes (the hobbit was shot in 4k at 48 frames per sec) did anyone watching notice, probably not.

The difficultly here is customer wants something completely future proof when a better solution is not out yet.

4k was previously supported on HDMI 1.4 and it only supported 24 frames per second ok for films sometimes (the hobbit was shot in 4k at 48 frames per sec) did anyone watching notice, probably not.

That's my "day job" working in TV and film and a lot of that is teaching technology courses and I can tell you that the Hobbit was a dividing film.

Many older viewers that grew up with film at 24fps (not an ideal frame rate for smooth motion) didn't like the Hobbit. they claim it looked "too real" too much like TV.
Yet the younger viewers preferred it as it looked more "real"

Reply to HDMI & 4K Help (Office Install) in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net