Discuss Heatmiser Wireless System in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

rolyberkin

-
Esteemed
Arms
Reaction score
Hijacked a thread the other say which this is a follow on from which may make things easier, already had some good advice from @Leesparkykent which has resulted in my getting the plumber (my brother in law!) to agree to alter the alter the pipework so at least I am in with a fighting chance of installing this and it working

I am intending to fit a heatmiser UH8RF and two neoair stats, one to control an underfloor heating zone and one to control hot water and and the radiator zone. The reason I have chosen the UH8RF is that it is already RF and the 'customer' likes the look of the black neoair stats, I have spoken to heatmiser technical support and they tell me this should all work as I think it should, so far so good.

I have very limited knowledge of heating systems, am I likely I be able to fit all the incoming cables into the UH8RF wiring centre or am I likely to need some sort of a junction box also? I work out I should have boiler power, boiler pump power, UFH pump power, cylinder stat cable and 3 x zone valve cables.

My last question is can someone explain to me volt free switching, is it just a switch? Will sit and do the wiring diagram tonight if someone doesn't mind taking a look.

You'll need a separate Neostat-HW for the hot water. This will NOT control the radiators!

The UH8RF is the wiring centre so you should not need another wiring centre. It will have outputs for the UFH pump etc etc. NOTE, the boiler pump will usually be controlled from the boiler itself as it will have to run on after the boiler call has gone off.

To save you too much headache, have a look at this page
UH8RF – 8 Zone Wireless Wiring Centre for Underfloor Heating - http://www.underfloorheating1.co.uk/product/uh8rf-8-zone-wireless-wiring-centre

If you send them your plans and needs, they'll send you a free spec (and a quote that you don't have to take up).

I was told by Heatmiser tech support this morning that one of the neoair would do both so I didn't need a neostat?

Last edited:
uHeat are really really good lads. One of their businesses (if they're still doing it) carries out commercial electrics on the docks. Not sure if it is with the actual ships or the stuff on land that takes cargo off etc but they've been around for decades, way before underfloor heating was about. They were in the UFH game the day it took off. I used to buy off their main brand (Elektra) and sell online before I did forums, and even back then they were always awesome, even while the industry was quickly changing month-by-month.

just to add to above. a volt-free relay is one that has no voltage applied as supplied. it's up to you and the application to decide what voltage you want to switch with it. this can be from 0V up to it's max. rating. ( e.g.240V).

Yes the Neoair is the one I ordered today from the nice people at Uheat, ordered two, one for the rads and hot water and one of the UFH circuit. Been reading up on heating systems today, prefer to understand why stuff works rather then just following a diagram. Just hope my nephew knows how to use it all when I walk away! :)

Yes the Neoair is the one I ordered today from the nice people at Uheat, ordered two, one for the rads and hot water and one of the UFH circuit. Been reading up on heating systems today, prefer to understand why stuff works rather then just following a diagram. Just hope my nephew knows how to use it all when I walk away! :)
Many sparks are scared of heating so its not a bad thing to get into and have a good knowledge of IMO. On Saturday one of my local rivals (Know him from the wholesalers) went and 2nd fixed a heating system. 6 two port valves 4 of which were for UFH manifolds as the house was huge. At around 6PM I got a call from him almost crying as he just couldn't get it working. I jumped in the van and went and had a look...sussed it in about 10 minutes and took him for £80 HAHA......To be fair he was trying to give me more as he was so relived and would of never of found out what was wrong in a month of Sundays lol.

Avoid Heatmiser! The customer service is awful. I have a faulty UH8 - RF which has been faulty since I first installed it. Its now 3 months on, the unit has been set to them. They blamed the Grundfos pump, when actually he has been a faulty circuit board all along. They refuse to speak with me, as I purchased the unit through a Underfloor heating company. Pls Avoid them at all costs.

Hijacked a thread the other say which this is a follow on from which may make things easier, already had some good advice from @Leesparkykent which has resulted in my getting the plumber (my brother in law!) to agree to alter the alter the pipework so at least I am in with a fighting chance of installing this and it working

I am intending to fit a heatmiser UH8RF and two neoair stats, one to control an underfloor heating zone and one to control hot water and and the radiator zone. The reason I have chosen the UH8RF is that it is already RF and the 'customer' likes the look of the black neoair stats, I have spoken to heatmiser technical support and they tell me this should all work as I think it should, so far so good.

I have very limited knowledge of heating systems, am I likely I be able to fit all the incoming cables into the UH8RF wiring centre or am I likely to need some sort of a junction box also? I work out I should have boiler power, boiler pump power, UFH pump power, cylinder stat cable and 3 x zone valve cables.

My last question is can someone explain to me volt free switching, is it just a switch? Will sit and do the wiring diagram tonight if someone doesn't mind taking a look.

Avoid dont purchase it, there are many other systems on the market.

Avoid Heatmiser! The customer service is awful. I have a faulty UH8 - RF which has been faulty since I first installed it. Its now 3 months on, the unit has been set to them. They blamed the Grundfos pump, when actually he has been a faulty circuit board all along. They refuse to speak with me, as I purchased the unit through a Underfloor heating company. Pls Avoid them at all costs.
Hi, AhmedR
If you didn't buy your UH8 direct from Heatmiser you need to take this issue up with the company that supplied you, they are responsible for the goods they sold you and it part of your consumer rights, side stepping them and going direct to the manufacturer is not how to uphold your consumers rights and in doing so you are likely to hit a brick wall.
If you do not follow the correct procedures for returning faulty items for replacement or refund at the point of sale then you may loose your protection under said consumers rights act.

From what you say in your post, I agree with Heatmiser in that you need to take this issue up direct with your point of sale as this is who you have a contract of purchase with, there is paperwork etc that needs to be done in the correct order this keeps everyone in the loop and the paperwork is correct when it comes to accounts and making the sums add up for the tax man.
Why are you going to the manufacturer instead of your point of sale, it may be the case they don't deal direct with the public and thus have no internal system for complaint.

I have not approved your next post as you are naming and shaming not only the company but naming people within too, this could leave you wide open to a legal action associated of defamation, as the forum has little knowledge of your personel situation and corrospondance on this matter then I feel I need to warn you of what you are saying could land you in a court unless you can justify what you are claiming is a common experience with the majority of people in a similar situation and not just your experience.

I express strongly that you carefully consider what you write when you post again and please contact staff through the report option on any post you wish to reconsider and have removed. Having a bad experience and opinion is one thing and your free to share it but there is a fine line between expressing your own personal exprerience which may be a rare example in their services and making an allegation that a company routinely gives poor customer service to its customers which they can legally challenge you on and take you to court.

Last edited:
Hi, AhmedR
If you didn't buy your UH8 direct from Heatmiser you need to take this issue up with the company that supplied you, they are responsible for the goods they sold you and it part of your consumer rights, side stepping them and going direct to the manufacturer is not how to uphold your consumers rights and in doing so you are likely to hit a brick wall.
If you do not follow the correct procedures for returning faulty items for replacement or refund at the point of sale then you may loose your protection under said consumers rights act.

From what you say in your post, I agree with Heatmiser in that you need to take this issue up direct with your point of sale as this is who you have a contract of purchase with, there is paperwork etc that needs to be done in the correct order this keeps everyone in the loop and the paperwork is correct when it comes to accounts and making the sums add up for the tax man.
Why are you going to the manufacturer instead of your point of sale, it may be the case they don't deal direct with the public and thus have no internal system for complaint.

I have not approved your next post as you are naming and shaming not only the company but naming people within too, this could leave you wide open to a legal action associated of defamation, as the forum has little knowledge of your personel situation and corrospondance on this matter then I feel I need to warn you of what you are saying could land you in a court unless you can justify what you are claiming is a common experience with the majority of people in a similar situation and not just your experience.

I express strongly that you carefully consider what you write when you post again and please contact staff through the report option on any post you wish to reconsider and have removed. Having a bad experience and opinion is one thing and your free to share it but there is a fine line between expressing your own personal exprerience which may be a rare example in their services and making an allegation that a company routinely gives poor customer service to its customers which they can legally challenge you on and take you to court.

Dear Darkwood,
Thank you for your concern.. Out of interest do you work for Heatmiser? Not sure why you vigorously defend them.
To come back to you on the points you raise, so that the Forum are well informed. I have called their Technical guys many times, who in general are helpful and knowledgeable. However, it is evident from speaking to a number of them that the have a know fault on the board. After several lengthy discussions, with a qualified electrician and a plumber, who were both present and being paid by myself, having sent over 10 hours trying to get the Heatmiser system to work, the technician declared that it might be a relay issue on the circuit board.
So I then had to send the unit back for further investigation.. It then took Heatmiser 6 weeks to send the unit back to me... Can you imagine 6 weeks!! Lucky it was summer time.
For them only to declare that it was not the fault of the circuit board but that of the Pump that I had installed. What a red herring...
We have tried to re-install, it worked for 24 hours and then packed in.
Another called to Heatmiser technical team to announce that it might be an intermittent fault. You could not make this stuff up.
So now it winter, I have no heating in the house, and they refuse to send me a replacement. Rather they want me to send the unit back, for them to investigate it for 6 weeks, whilst I wait......
Like I said, if you are bout to choose a smart heating system, avoid Heatmiser.

Dear Darkwood,
Thank you for your concern.. Out of interest do you work for Heatmiser? Not sure why you vigorously defend them.
To come back to you on the points you raise, so that the Forum are well informed. I have called their Technical guys many times, who in general are helpful and knowledgeable. However, it is evident from speaking to a number of them that the have a know fault on the board. After several lengthy discussions, with a qualified electrician and a plumber, who were both present and being paid by myself, having sent over 10 hours trying to get the Heatmiser system to work, the technician declared that it might be a relay issue on the circuit board.
So I then had to send the unit back for further investigation.. It then took Heatmiser 6 weeks to send the unit back to me... Can you imagine 6 weeks!! Lucky it was summer time.
For them only to declare that it was not the fault of the circuit board but that of the Pump that I had installed. What a red herring...
We have tried to re-install, it worked for 24 hours and then packed in.
Another called to Heatmiser technical team to announce that it might be an intermittent fault. You could not make this stuff up.
So now it winter, I have no heating in the house, and they refuse to send me a replacement. Rather they want me to send the unit back, for them to investigate it for 6 weeks, whilst I wait......
Like I said, if you are bout to choose a smart heating system, avoid Heatmiser.

No I have no connections with said company and at no point in my previous post was I defending them, I was giving an opinion based on the information you gave us, your post was a little ambiguous thus I suggested their comment to take it back to where you bought it was the better option here, if there technical support cannot help you then usually it does go back to point of sale which is what you said they told you.

As a member of the forum I was just looking out for your interests, it has been known in the past for members to make sweeping statements similar to yours due to a personal experience about a company and find themselves with lawyers on their backs and asking the Forum to remove all content. Like I said by all means express your personal experience but be careful you word you posts carefully in doing so.. it does seem you have been running around in circles like a headless chicken trying to sort this out and agree it doesn't reflect well on the company at all.

Last edited:

Hi - im sure this may sound like sucking eggs, but assuming your switching 230v to the boiler - just link from the incoming supply into common on the boiler terminal, then when wiring the zone valves dont use the grey and orange from the two port valves, just put L&N into the relevant actuator port and common the earths.

Dont forget when programming the Neo stat to choose "01" for Rads - this will prevent the UFH pump coming on when its not needed.

Another little tip: Sometimes the batterys dont make contact in the carrier (even though they look ok), just give them a good roll around and then the stat should come alive.

Reply to Heatmiser Wireless System in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock