Discuss Hello from me, and opinion welcom in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

H

Huw Jenkins

Firstly, I've decided to put my head above the parapet and say hello to everyone here, also looking for some advice regarding a re-wire of a 2 bed bungalow I'm about to embark on.

My client has instructed me to carry out a full re-wire of his 2 bed bungalow, now I know regulations say on a re-wire you can replace like for like, however, he's having it done for the purpose of possible sale, so my question is; the current CU is located above a fixed wardrobe in bedroom 1 of the property, when installing the new cu, should I place it where the previous on is, or should I move it to apply to the 450-1200mm recommendation

Accessibility to a consumer unit is a good idea, however there is no requirement to move it when changing it on an existing installation.
This would be a discussion between you and the customer on what they are prepared to have done.

Welcome to posting.:fearful::door::gun::blush:

as richards'spost.no need tomove it unlesss at customer's request. and it's not 450mm - 1200mm for a CU. more like 1400mm -1500mm , but that's only on new builds.

On a rewire you can put the accessories and cu at heights agreed with the client...... Personally the new build height is a bit silly unless it's in a cupboard .....

And don't forget to recommend mains smokes ...... They aren't required on our regs but a very sensible addition ...

Thanks guys, think it's best left where it is then, my quote given to him includes the main smokes, as I think it's good practice to install these as standard on re-wires, and the current installation leaves a lot to be desired, that's what happens when you deal with a house with 30 years DIY work done

Personally, as its a rewire, I'd put it somewhere more sensible than above a wardrobe :)
Probably depends on the cost of the DNO moving the supply and how much the customer is willing to pay, I agree with you're post though.:carpstreamer:

Last edited:
Yeah above wardrobe is not the best place, however the DNO costs would have to be factored in, and plus he's having the re-wire in order to place bungalow on the market, so maybe make sure my company sticker is on the new CU so the next occupant can call me to move it

Yeah above wardrobe is not the best place, however the DNO costs would have to be factored in, and plus he's having the re-wire in order to place bungalow on the market, so maybe make sure my company sticker is on the new CU so the next occupant can call me to move it
That seems almost cavalier Huw, do a rewire put the CU where it was originally and hope the new occupant wants it moved. What are you going to do leave loads of spare cable in the roof space just in case?

The service head can stay where ever it is, doesn't stop you moving the location of the CU.

The service head can stay where ever it is, doesn't stop you moving the location of the CU.
Agree, but it would be nice to move it after the customer had gone to the trouble of having a rewire, but may be thats me just being an old git

Reply to Hello from me, and opinion welcom in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net