Discuss Hello guys - Electrical student, any advice is appreciated! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I have been a guest on this site for a good year now and have decided to make an account finally. I am currently studying the 2365 level 3 at college but am very unsure what will happen for me at the end of this year.

My tutor has briefly explained about the NVQ, AM2 etc but I wouldn't mind hearing anyone else's personal experiences or just a bit of info that I may find useful for this year and the coming years.

Thanks!

The thing is to have a plan rather than be unsure. What is it you want to be doing? Make enquiries and plans to acheive that so that you are no longer unsure. Of course even the best laid plans... but carpe diem I say

The thing is to have a plan rather than be unsure. What is it you want to be doing? Make enquiries and plans to acheive that so that you are no longer unsure. Of course even the best laid plans... but carpe diem I say
I was definitely hoping to get some work with a company to both build up my confidence and my experience so I feel more prepared mentally. I am at the stage where I have a strong idea of where I'd like to be but I have no idea how it'll fall into place.

Just keeping that idea in your mind will attract the situation you need with a bit of planning and action toward that end. Are you advertising in wholesalers for experience etc? Just make sure you get good advice as to what you need qualification wise to acheive your aims. And where do you want to work? commercial domestic industrial?

Hi welcome to having an account on the forum.

You are at a key point in your training and it is time to start considering the next steps of practical experience that will be required to complete the full range of qualifications to met one of the most commonly recognised paths to fully qualified electrician.

If you know where you want to go in terms of the specific areas of work then this is the area to research to find companies willing to assist you through the NVQ level 3.
If you start now then you have more of a chance in finding something in time for the end of the level 3 training. Your technical skills should now be at a reasonable level to allow you to be able to be more involved in the practical aspects of electrical work.

The JIB can be considered as a benchmark for electrical qualifications that are readily recognised in the industry so it may help to read their grading definitions to give you an idea of where you might need to head if any of the JIB grades seems similar to where you wish to go.

Keep trying and learning and good luck for the future.

Just keeping that idea in your mind will attract the situation you need with a bit of planning and action toward that end. Are you advertising in wholesalers for experience etc? Just make sure you get good advice as to what you need qualification wise to acheive your aims. And where do you want to work? commercial domestic industrial?
I have printed off a few CVs and then I checked with a few companies to see if they'd mind taking a quick look at my qualifications so far but no progress there. My college suggested that I email a few places to see whether they'd be interested in taking me on for a bit of part-time work but I felt as if that may be a bit informal? I would like to work with domestic installations at the moment.

Hi welcome to having an account on the forum.

You are at a key point in your training and it is time to start considering the next steps of practical experience that will be required to complete the full range of qualifications to met one of the most commonly recognised paths to fully qualified electrician.

If you know where you want to go in terms of the specific areas of work then this is the area to research to find companies willing to assist you through the NVQ level 3.
If you start now then you have more of a chance in finding something in time for the end of the level 3 training. Your technical skills should now be at a reasonable level to allow you to be able to be more involved in the practical aspects of electrical work.

The JIB can be considered as a benchmark for electrical qualifications that are readily recognised in the industry so it may help to read their grading definitions to give you an idea of where you might need to head if any of the JIB grades seems similar to where you wish to go.

Keep trying and learning and good luck for the future.
Luckily I do know exactly the area of work that I'd like to be in, but I am unsure on how easy it'll be to find a company ready to take me on. I have heard that things should get easier for me if I gain the level 3 qualification but there is plenty of competition that I am coming up against. One question that has just come to mind is how long the NVQ level 3 is? I've occasionally used the JIB as a bit of guide so I will definitely refer to their grading definitions.

Welcome. Have you applied for access to the trainee section of the forum?

Hi James and welcome along.
Follow this link and fill in your details and a member of staff will get back to you.
Any information you provide is secure and can only be viewed by staff.
Hi James and welcome along.
Follow this link and fill in your details and a member of staff will get back to you.
Any information you provide is secure and can only be viewed by staff.
Apply to Gain Access to Trainee-Only Forum - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/

Apply to Gain Access to Trainee-Only Forum - http://www.electriciansforums.co.uk/forums/apply-to-gain-access-to-trainee-only-forum.60/
This may sound like a very silly question but do I need to 'post a thread' with my details on the link that you posted?

@Jake Wesley If you click on the link i gave you it will take you to a application form, you then copy n paste that and start a thread in that section called trainee application or similar, then paste the form into that and fill it out.

If you're struggling let me know.

Reply to Hello guys - Electrical student, any advice is appreciated! in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net