Discuss Hello, new DIY warrior here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

I

ilsa

Hi, I'm new here and might once in a while need some advice. Or a gentle reminder of my DIY limitations.:)
In fact, I need HELP now... It's never too soon, it easily could be too late.

ilsa

Hello Pete, I have a switch wiring question regarding two-way wiring. I admit, I messed something up that was working fine previously and can't connect it back. There, I said it. I'm not usually that dim but that's where I'm at now.
Feel free to guide me towards best forum section for this! Thank you!

Hi Ilsa and welcome to the forum. I've given you a nice little tag below your name so that the members know your status.

Hello Pete, I have a switch wiring question regarding two-way wiring. I admit, I messed something up that was working fine previously and can't connect it back. There, I said it. I'm not usually that dim but that's where I'm at now.
Feel free to guide me towards best forum section for this! Thank you!
Hi Ilsa, you are in the right forum, if not the right area the DIY area is best for you. There are many ways of wiring two way switching, so without knowing how your two way is wired, it's difficult to help, your best bet would be to contact an Electrician to help you out, it's could be very dangerous giving advice on this as you are not an Electrician. Maybe one of the Lads on the Forum who operates in your area could help, possible FOC in any case if you are charged it wouldn't cost you much, it's a simple fix for someone in the know, good luck anyway

maybe post up a pic.of the set up ( in back of switches ) so we could see what's what.

it's oK pete. we make allowances for senile dementia. :p

Thank you guys, I will try and take a pic tomorrow, see if that helps.
I have tried to look at drawings, diagrams and descriptions of such switches and they all seem very straight forward, but mine.. It's probably usually the case :)

summat about switches i think, up for on or up for off. whatever.

Anyways, here's an electricians Sudoku:

I have a two way switch for my hallway. One upstairs, one downstairs. The light is upstairs. Back box upstairs has three core coming in from above ( brown, black, grey, earth). All browns are together in choc block terminal, all greys are together in choc block, so I have only ONE BLACK wire ( brown sleeve ) left to use from that three core. I'm puzzled cause all diagrams show two wires to be used and connected to switch.
There is three core between switches with one black( brown sleeve) and one grey ( brown sleeve ) left to be used. The brown is in choc block.
Three wires, but I can't figure it out!

I'm reluctant to call electrician because he just wired it up week ago... But he worked like a...mmmm..ermm..elephant mole? So I had to replaster a couple of walls after he left. So I have nice walls now, but no lights. If I call him back, I will have lights, but no walls.

I'm reluctant to call electrician because he just wired it up week ago... But he worked like a...mmmm..ermm..elephant mole? So I had to replaster a couple of walls after he left. So I have nice walls now, but no lights. If I call him back, I will have lights, but no walls.
Elephant mole ?
If the lights were wired and working correctly a week ago, then you've fiddled with something and now they don't work, it should be a simple case of unfiddling and should not require the chasing of any walls. Get the guy called up, offer tea and chocolate biscuits and hope for the best.

Elephant mole ?
If the lights were wired and working correctly a week ago, then you've fiddled with something and now they don't work, it should be a simple case of unfiddling and should not require the chasing of any walls. Get the guy called up, offer tea and chocolate biscuits and hope for the best.

To be fair, he was called in to do chases so I shouldn't complain too much about wall destruction, but it was bad. I should have known when someone turns up with big sds drill instead of proper chase tool, and it is an old property. The plaster went. Gone.
I have had chases done before properly and no real fuss at all.
Now I'm staring at those three wires and I can't help but want to try out all possible combinations so I don't have to give anyone biscuits. If chases would have been done somewhat neatly, I wouldn't have had to fiddle and if I wouldn't have fiddled, I wouldn't have been in a pickle, and if I wouldn't be in a pickle, I wouldn't have to give my childs' biscuit to a spark :D

To be fair, he was called in to do chases so I shouldn't complain too much about wall destruction, but it was bad. I should have known when someone turns up with big sds drill instead of proper chase tool, and it is an old property. The plaster went. Gone.
I have had chases done before properly and no real fuss at all.
Now I'm staring at those three wires and I can't help but want to try out all possible combinations so I don't have to give anyone biscuits. If chases would have been done somewhat neatly, I wouldn't have had to fiddle and if I wouldn't have fiddled, I wouldn't have been in a pickle, and if I wouldn't be in a pickle, I wouldn't have to give my childs' biscuit to a spark :D

It's one where there are a few too many variables to safely assist a diyer through a forum how to rectify this. An electrician with the right test equipment will have it sorted in minutes though if all you have done is connect the wires up wrong.

Reply to Hello, new DIY warrior here in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net