Discuss Hello, new member looking for career advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

ATP

-
Reaction score
Hello,
I'm an electric and gas smart meter engineer, I haven't been doing it long having made a massive career change last august to when I started my training. Smart metering, is ok and a nice step on to the ladder.. but I will want to move onwards and upwards at some point, with more interest in the electric side of my work.
Can anyone advise on what direction to go from here, is there a route into working on higher voltagess prehaps up electric pylons? or would people recommend prehaps doing a 17th edition qualification and where could that lead?
I really don't know know what to do next or even really what the options are so just some ideas would be helpful.
Cheers
Adam

you would ideally complete the c&g 2365, followed by am2, nvq3, 2391. that will get you a jibbly gold card. do you have 7 years to spare?

that sounds like a good route in and if it take 7 years I can cope with that. I'd have to keep working in metering for a couple more years before I can afford to do the 2365, but that sounds about right.
I've looked up information about all you've recommended, but can't find what a jibbly gold card is?
thanks for the help

haha. it's a JIB or ECS card. scuse my poetic licence with jibbly. a lot of the courses you need can be done evening college, so you can still earn a crust daytime while studying.

Welcome to the family :)

Reply to Hello, new member looking for career advice in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Similar Threads

Just a quick introduction from me - I'm a 49 year old living in Essex - I have no electrical qualifications but Im looking into training options...
Replies
Views
Hi everyone, I just thought I'd say hello since I am new to this forum. I am looking for a complete career change and am set on becoming an...
Replies
Views
Hi guys I’m at one of the funny times in my career where I can’t decide on what I want to do. I’m wondering if one of you experiences folks can...
Replies
Views
Hello all, I'm new to this forum and just wanted to say hi. I'm in Chicopee, MA, USA for reference. I am not an electrician currently and will...
Replies
Views
Hello, thanks for letting me join up. I am a former Merchant Navy electro-technical officer and current (no pun) Electrical design engineer for a...
Replies
Views

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock