Discuss Help! Advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

C

Chris derrick

hi all, first post here.

The story in a nut shell is, I did some work for a customer through a building contractor. It was a big house with 2 consumer units. I sorted out the nuisance tripping and added a sub-board for a outhouse. I also did some superficial works. Replacing face plates etc.

This was about 3 months ago. Iv had a phone call recently with a bill £2300 from the building contractor, as the property had earth leakage on the lighting and many unlying issues that wasn't picked up on. I told the building contractor and the customer many times the property needed a full service to put right what was wrong.

Question is how liable am ?

You issued a certificate and stated the extent you were responsible for. That is what you are liable for. As you did no work on the lighting?? why would you be liable. And of course you put in writing any problems you saw and offered/quoted for repair.
Me I would not even respond to it knowing I had done the above. Sue and be damned would be my default position. Is there anything else you would like to elucidate on?

Thanks for the reply guys. I wasent asked to carry out a EICR. I changed one of the boards (not the board with earth fault) to make space for an extra circuit for sub board. I changed the down lights in the lounge/hallway/ bathroom to fire rated ones .....

Something seems odd.
If they discovered issues and suspected your work may be at fault, then surely their first recourse would be to contact you and say they are having issues.

Is the call saying you owe them money the first you have heard from them since you finished your works.

What I'm worried about is, perhaps the nuisance tripping was the earth leakage that I didn't pick up on? The house in general was a mess from previous sparkles.

Do you have a paper trail? i.e. instructions to undertake work and your estimate detailing the work. Can we see your Cert for work done?

Up to now I agree with all of the above .
Did you agree limitations to the work, ie did you only do what you were instructed to do , or were you instructed to inspect test and remedy?

No paper trail. Suppose I should pay up....

NO.

If it went to a Court case, the builder would have to prove either;

You didn't complete what you were paid for and the £2300 is a refund they are asking for.

OR, the work you did was not satisfactory and they have paid someone else to correct it, BUT they would have to explain why they didn't give you the opportunity to either inspect the alledged faulty work or even correct it.

OR the work you did has caused damage to the property or installation to the value of £2300.

If you intend just to pay it without arguement, then it would appear you also owe me £3200, can you pay up please.

Just instructed to carry out the work. I was naive to think to the building contractor would sort out the rest. Il be honest guys, I wanted the experience under my belt. just panicking there to me to court and throw the book at me

Reply to Help! Advice please. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net