Discuss Help! Cooker trips RCD. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Goody

-
Reaction score
Hi,
An electrical cooker stays on for a while and trips the RCD. When the RCD switched back on straight away, the cooker stays on for a length of time and trips again (doesn't trip straight away). The circuit tests OK and the MCB stays on all the time.

What could be issue and where do I look? Thanks!

element breaking down when hot. get int the controlls, disconnect 1 at a time till you find the dodgy 1.

Another possibility is the cooker terminal box check for insulation breakdown due to thermal effects and heat damage caused by poor termination, particularly on thermo-plastic terminal boxes.
In recent times some cooker manufacturers instructions have specified making the cooker connection in heat resistant flex. However, I am finding a lot of melted/burnt appliance terminal boxes on cookers that have been poorly terminated with flex (Only 1 in 30 years terminated in T+E). If you are terminating flex it is wise to use crimped ring terminals on the flex ends to minimise the chances of the screw connections loosening under repeated load/heat cycles causing damage to the terminals and/or the box.

Another possibility is the cooker terminal box check for insulation breakdown due to thermal effects and heat damage caused by poor termination, particularly on thermo-plastic terminal boxes.
In recent times some cooker manufacturers instructions have specified making the cooker connection in heat resistant flex. However, I am finding a lot of melted/burnt appliance terminal boxes on cookers that have been poorly terminated with flex (Only 1 in 30 years terminated in T+E). If you are terminating flex it is wise to use crimped ring terminals on the flex ends to minimise the chances of the screw connections loosening under repeated load/heat cycles causing damage to the terminals and/or the box.
As telectrix pointed out, I think it is a case of the elements breaking down. I checked all circuits and asked them to try. They turned on a bigger element with a pan on and a smaller element without anything on. It tripped after five minutes. I asked them to turn off the smaller one and it stayed on since. This concluded that the smaller one a dodgy one (they probably knew this already). The cooker must be at least 10 years old.

If you can, find the instructions which could giv you a break down of the Wattage for different sized elements. Using that calculate what the resistance should be per element than test using low ohms resistance and see how much of a break down you get.....but thats long and youve now solved it.
:D
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk

If you can, find the instructions which could giv you a break down of the Wattage for different sized elements. Using that calculate what the resistance should be per element than test using low ohms resistance and see how much of a break down you get.....but thats long and youve now solved it.
:D
Sent from my GT-I9100 using Tapatalk
That cooker is probably more than 10 years old and I have the remote chance to get hold of the instructions. Turning one by one to see if the RCD trips was an easier option for me and it worked. Thanks for the input, anyway!

Reply to Help! Cooker trips RCD. in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock