Discuss [HELP] Electric Shock from Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

So humour me here, as my girlfriend after reading these comments is now saying we should get it looked at again by someone else. At the moment there is no current coming from the shower (or voltage) so how could this become dangerous again?

How much would one of you charge to 'fix' this problem properly? All the diagnostic time etc?

So humour me here, as my girlfriend after reading these comments is now saying we should get it looked at again by someone else. At the moment there is no current coming from the shower (or voltage) so how could this become dangerous again?

How much would one of you charge to 'fix' this problem properly? All the diagnostic time etc?
OP don't be offended, but I am a suspicious type, but have you had an electrician to look at this, or are you the 'electrician'?

Haha no I've had an actual electrician, our family have used them for years.
Whilst I have a basic understanding of electronics, I'm not capable of fixing this.

i did hear of someone putting a Nail/Screw in to the wall and hitting a line, and the grout was taking it from there around the place.

Maybe the best thing is to
Redo the Cable from the switch to the shower, that way there is NO Nic and it works
and if that dosnt work
Replace the Shower

One or the other first, to knock down possible errors.

This is a Old Post from the Late Last Year.

I studied Electronics at uni, but this is breaking down what could of gone wrong.
As the grout is live there must be some thing making it live, and needs to be stopped.
I have had a shock in the shower by a Flat i rented, and handy man did replace it after a few months
but still i was too scared to use it an used the public shower.
having a shower and getting a shock dose put you off, like a mouse in a maze

Last edited by a moderator:
There are some who can't or won't be helped and they aren't worth spending precious time thinking about.

Life's too short.
well, it us for you and me. all the life knowledge and experience going to the leech undertakers in a few short years, yet katie price lives on. life's a bitch innit?

so humour me here, as my girlfriend after reading these comments is now saying we should get it looked at again by someone else. At the moment there is no current coming from the shower (or voltage) so how could this become dangerous again?

nowhere near as much as the wooden box comming early

The steps that have been taken to rectify the shocks you were getting are not recognised as a solution within our industry and I would question the competence of anyone thinking that they have made the issue safe. It comes down to the fact that you have a potential difference existing between points that gives you a shock, simply giving this voltage an alternative route is not a cure as it still exists.

How much to fix ?.. Its a fault with an unknown cause so it cannot be simply quoted as we need to know the cause to be able to give a cost.

All that is missing are the midget circus clowns popping out of the shower head. Just rig the shower cubical with a camcorder, voltage and amp meter and be done with it. It will assist the coroner with his/her future enquiries.

Crumbs, not seen this thread before. What a scary thought. Just a point, earth bonding and the like is your secondary protection and is vulnerable to not being there when you need it. Your primary protection is the insulation around the live wires. To be safe, you need both and operating RCDs and circuit breakers. Based on some of what has been reported your house should not pass an insulation resistance test and as such is not satisfactory for continued use.

I have used pseudo language here to help you understand that you are still at risk if in fact the voltage is still there if the bonding is removed.

Whats you postcode ? - it may be in my catchment

Scary reading through this thread.

As has previously been stated it is a concern why people risk themselves with electricity, but immediately call in a plumber if the ceiling / carpet becomes wet.

I agree that it should be investigated further and the original cause rectified. Once this has been achieved compensation should be sought from the original 'electrician' who was prepared to leave your family in the electric chair each morning.

Reply to [HELP] Electric Shock from Shower in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net