Discuss Help fixing 2-way ceiling switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net

that is a job for a sparks. can't advise without determining which cables are which. advise to get a local sparks in before you injure yourself.

that is a job for a sparks. can't advise without determining which cables are which. advise to get a local sparks in before you injure yourself.

Sound advice as always :thumbsup

There is no way just by looking at those wires that you'll be able to get the light working correctly first time. As tel has explained, you need to call an Electrician in who will be able to sort it quickly and safely for you :)

My guess would be...

Brown and grey from wire 1 to L1 and L2 respectively (Strappers).
Both red wires to common (Loop-in, loop-out).
Leave blacks in connector block. (Neutrals).
Green/green-yellow to earth terminal.

Although, as Tel has said, if you're not 100% sure then get a sparks in. :cool3:

Last edited by a moderator:
think you may be right there , Jud, but i wouldn't like to bet the farm on it.

My guess would be...

Although, as Tel has said, if you're not 100% sure then get a sparks in. :cool3:

No fancy diagrams today Jud? lol

:D

:thumbsup

My guess would be...

What if that is the last light on the circuit and that 3 core is for an extractor fan? ;)

In that case...

Red from wire 2 and brown from wire 1 to common.
Red from wire 3 and grey from wire 1 to L1.
Leave blacks in connector.

Nothing connected to L2.

What should happen now....the light should turn on and off normally. The extractor fan should come on when the light is turned on and when the light is turned off the fan should keep running for a while (could be up to 15mins).

If the fan does not keep running when the light is turned off you will need to swap the brown and grey wires around in the switch.

post deleted

Strange.

Here is my thinking on what the wires are.

1 of the red wires is your permanent live to the switch.
The other red wire is your feed to the light.

So red wires should go either side of switch. (1 in common, 1 in L1).

The brown (as I would wire it) is the permanent feed to the fan (connected together with your permanent live in the common) and the grey would be the switched feed to the fan (connected together with your feed to the light in L1).

Are you sure both red wires are in properly?

Last edited by a moderator:
working perfectly :) Thanks so much, light and fan. I switched the grey and brown over and both ways the fan just turns off with the light but to be honest I can't really remember it staying on previously. Thanks so much for all your help, made my day!

Reply to Help fixing 2-way ceiling switch in the Australia area at ElectriciansForums.net