Discuss Help: I am 15th edition IEE Regs what are my restrictions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Hi Bezzy,
I think people are trying to say "Get an electrician in to do the job"
Please read Murdoch's post #3 and reply.

Not sure I agree with you on this... if he's up to date and can convince a scam or LABC that he is competent then it should be covered ........ but really and truly ....... 15th qualified and expecting to sign off 17th AMD3 installs ...... got to be a p take.

Then there's the small matter of a calibrated tester..... they are not cheap.........

so, so, so many unanswered questions

Last edited by a moderator:
Hi Bezzy,
I think people are trying to say "Get an electrician in to do the job"
Please read Murdoch's post #3 and reply.
I don't think anyone was saying that. If someone is competent at electrical work then there's no reason why they can't do a regs course to get back up to speed with the current edition, then either apply for scheme membership if they plan on doing a lot of work or go through LABC to notify jobs.

Not sure I agree with you on this... if he's up to date and can convince a scam or LABC that he is competent then it should be covered ........ but really and truly ....... 15th qualified and expecting to sign off 17th AMD3 installs ...... got to be a p take.

This is a new circuit and needs doing to current regs. The OP is asking if he should read the current regs..... Most people would think it's obvious. Therefore my comment about getting in an electrician. It may be me and the way I read his posts.

What part of this serious question leads you to believe its a wind up!!!
OK try these parts:
1. "I qualified to 15th edition IEE regs some 28 yrs ago. I then left the trade." And have no idea of the changes made since
2. " I kept my hand in by doing foreigners and of course all electrical work on my own properties" Yeah fine, just take work off proper sparks who have done everything by the book including forking out on courses, equipment and assessments
3. "I would class myself as competent and safe" Well fortunately for the general public it ain't up to you, you are supposed to follow the rules that most of the rest of us have to
"I was wondering what restrictions there are on any work I can do" Yeah, it is supposed to be to the current regulations, of which you clearly have no knowledge, or care
5."a friend of mine has asked me to install a ring main" A what??
6."Am I allowed to do this." Probably not, I would guess.

Like I said, a wind up.

...A box of lead-tag cable clips,a roll of fuse wire,and a drop of oil on that Megger handle...i think he may be good to go :heart:

To the OP,not current,does NOT mean,not capable. The "current" part,however,is never the less,vital.

I see it as two options, either sit your exam so you know youre up to speed or very least buy the bible and study it. Ive not looked this up in the ammendment but from what i looked into a few years ago, as long as your work complies, good workmanship, you issue paperwork with every bit of notifiable work, are insured, you didnt need to be with a scheme. Personally i would get my 17th but Whatever you choose to do mate, good luck.

Reply to Help: I am 15th edition IEE Regs what are my restrictions in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net