Discuss Help needed with lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

Steve698

A neighbour has a through lounge with a centre ceiling light (chandelier type) at both ends as well as 2 wall lights at both ends of the room (6 fittings in total). They are controlled by a 3 gang dimmer switch, 1 for each centre light and 1 for all 4 wall lights. All of sudden none of these lights work. All I had to test with on a quick visit was a neon driver. The switch has a permanent feed and is switching as it should. I took 1 of the chandeliers down but wasn't getting a live line there, although was showing a dim reading on neon on all 3 terminals (live,neutral and earth). As a quick test made a lead up with a plug at 1 end and connected to centre light terminals when plugged in all the wall lights worked and switched as they should, centre lights, nothing. Each light is connected by trailing lead so no access to main wiring from ceiling and upper floor is covered by fitted hardwood flooring (no access). RCB isn't tripping and nothing has been touched recently, so I'm told.

Any ideas as what is causing this fault, how it can be traced and how to rectify.

Yes use a proper voltage tester. Maybe even a MFT too.

Then come back with some information we can work with.

Last edited by a moderator:
Impossible to test anything with a neon, they are dangerous and untrustworthy for any type of testing in my opinion. Has there been any work done recently? For all of these lights to be down, it could possibly be a N fault, check to see if there is a L at the lights as well with a proper tester. Could be a loose connection in a JB... without seeing the job its hard to tell really. If you want to check it out properly, you need something a lot better than a neon screwdriver though.

As I say it was just a flying visit and was all that was available, will test with proper meter.
No work done recently so I'm told.

Sounds as though you've got a neutral fault somewhere - proper (and safe!) test kit required.

Sorry been away for a few days. Yes the fault was sorted out, went round with a multimeter and traced back to hall light which had a loose neutral connection in the ceiling rose. Tightened up and checked all other connections there and all was well again. Bit strange as the rose hadn't been tampered with as I had a job getting into it from years of old paint. Also had 8 60W bulbs on wall lights on one 250W switch and not surprisingly it was burnt out. Now the lights are all working the Home owner wants me to go back and change them all as she has fell out of love with the old ones.

How did you know it was the neutral in the end is because the rcd didnt trip
an easy way to picture it is if a light has a live and a neutral it will work remove one and it will stop, you already said it had a live.

An rcd is more like a wife, picture yourself as the current. If you go anywhere else but back to the mrs she flips.

an easy way to picture it is if a light has a live and a neutral it will work remove one and it will stop, you already said it had a live.

An rcd is more like a wife, picture yourself as the current. If you go anywhere else but back to the mrs she flips.

Needasparks, you'd make a v.good psycho-analyst.

Reply to Help needed with lighting fault in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net