Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

N

Ner123ak

Hi
We have just spent quite a lot on having a new kitchen in another part of our house. This was a complete installation including new electrics plumbing etc.
It us now apparently finished and quite frankly the electrics scare me
The power cables are running in and out of the radiator pipes everywhere for a start. When I asked I was told it's ok it's heat protected cable.
Couple of pictures below I have many more from all over.
The hob and oven are just on a 13 amp plug and that don't seem right to me as well. The whole work is quite shocking but I will stick to electricalsHelp new kitchen nightmare image - EletriciansForums.netHelp new kitchen nightmare image - EletriciansForums.net
Please could someone help me as I don't know what I should do
thnx v much for any advice
k

I was going to put this in the diy section but you may get more help in the main forum if you are just asking for opinions.

Picture 1 needs to give a larger view for any useful comment
Picture 2 is bleak,very bleak

A oven on a plug top may or may not be adequate,it depends on rating
Hob on a plug top sounds very iffy to say the least

You need more pictures and much more info to be provided
There are skill/quality and building regs questions that will need answering

Who engaged the worker doing these electrics
Was he an electrician is the first question
Were references sought
Was he chosen because he was extra cheap

looks very rough. may be worth getting another electrician to have a look and test the installation. if theres is some serious issues have the first contractor come and sort it out...

Hi
We have just spent quite a lot on having a new kitchen in another part of our house. This was a complete installation including new electrics plumbing etc.
It us now apparently finished and quite frankly the electrics scare me
The power cables are running in and out of the radiator pipes everywhere for a start. When I asked I was told it's ok it's heat protected cable.
Couple of pictures below I have many more from all over.
The hob and oven are just on a 13 amp plug and that don't seem right to me as well. The whole work is quite shocking but I will stick to electricalsView attachment 28425View attachment 28424
Please could someone help me as I don't know what I should do
thnx v much for any advice
k

Is that a concrete floor and WHY are the copper pipes just lying on it?

Those pipes below the socket ..... the clips aren't closed onto them. It's not "that" important but it's quick and easy to close them but if they can't be arsed to do that what else had been skimped on??

If those pipes are for central heating they can be running at 80 degrees C for long periods. I'm not sure I would want cable as close as those are!!

Is your hob an electric one or is it gas with electric ignition?

Finally, did these contractors arrive at your premises in a motor vehicle or a horse drawn covered wagon? :cowboy:

Last edited by a moderator:
...Looks like a pretty common attempt,where the electrical part of your project has taken a lower priority on your contractors' list...

I genuinely feel for the OP.who probably went through the process of getting quotes,and assumed all players read from the same hymn sheet.

See this,and much worse,every month. Last one was an impressive,and expensive two-property rear orangery,bi-folds and feature log burner...the works. The door to the kitchen,opened in to the addition,and a cupboard/shoe store had been built on the lock side.

A double S/O had been fitted on the side of this,30mm pattress,cables in cupboard in trunking...all neat...until you plugged something in and tried to open the door...

Owner had asked my opinion on this issue,although several rational options were apparent...someone needed punching :icon12:

Shoddy lazy work. I feel for the OP as they should give the, ahem, electrician, cough, splutter, the chance to rectify the issues. But I would not want someone like that anywhere near my house ever again. The grey cable is not heat resistant and I doubt the white flex is either. So shoddy work and a liar. And I hope the hob is gas with electric ignition!

More photos as others have suggested. May be worthwhile talking to another local electrician expressing your concerns and seeing if they can spend an hour to give it a visual check over.

GOOD LUCK!!

Caveat emptor: Employing a kitchen fitters to carry out other trades is a recipe for disaster.

The law provides for recompense against poor workmanship. If the OP is aggrieved only he can take it up with the kitchen fitters.

Hi.people sorry late reply just back from work to let the electrician in to apparently put things right
We paid half the money before work started. We are supposed to get certs when we pay the remainder.
Update so the electrician has just been round again and has put trunking around the cables and moved away from pipes a bit and tidied up the cables strewn across the loft. Although I haven't looked too close and will post some pictures later.
Our other worry the hob and oven just on two 13 amp plugs to the wall. He just baffled me with numbers and when I said. I don't see plugs mentioned in the installation manual He said its because people would try and plug them into light circuits. I replied I've never seen a light switch with a plug socket in it and why wouldn't they just plug it in the wall anyway. But then got swamped with techno talk
i really appreciate all the kind responses and will post back later when we are home
thnx all again

Hi.people sorry late reply just back from work to let the electrician in to apparently put things right
We paid half the money before work started. We are supposed to get certs when we pay the remainder.
Update so the electrician has just been round again and has put trunking around the cables and moved away from pipes a bit and tidied up the cables strewn across the loft. Although I haven't looked too close and will post some pictures later.
Our other worry the hob and oven just on two 13 amp plugs to the wall. He just baffled me with numbers and when I said. I don't see plugs mentioned in the installation manual He said its because people would try and plug them into light circuits. I replied I've never seen a light switch with a plug socket in it and why wouldn't they just plug it in the wall anyway. But then got swamped with techno talk
i really appreciate all the kind responses and will post back later when we are home
thnx all again

Have you got the make and model numbers for the oven and hob?

Last edited by a moderator:
as above, or can you read off the KW rating on each?

The first thing to ascertain is, ...is this a particularly rough qualified electrician, or a DI (Domestic Installer) that at best has been to a training center for 5 Weeks or at worst , for just 17 days??

My guess is the latter, and a perfect example of why these chancers should not be allowed into people homes....

Anyway what are you, or should i say, how far are you prepared to go to get your electrical installation back to a reasonable expected standard??

How about posting a few more photo's of what you are considering not up to scratch or indeed dangerous...

Here's a couple more pics top and bottom going up wall into loft.
Also worryingly I think for us the hob and oven are electric they are Lamona side control hob. Lamona fan assisted oven. LAM3301. Will post pictures later
We will be giving him a chance to out things right. But are still very worried about and would appreciate all comments.
thnx

The first thing to ascertain is, ...is this a particularly rough qualified electrician, or a DI (Domestic Installer) that at best has been to a training center for 5 Weeks or at worst , for just 17 days??

My guess is the latter, and a perfect example of why these chancers should not be allowed into people homes....

Anyway what are you, or should i say, how far are you prepared to go to get your electrical installation back to a reasonable expected standard??

How about posting a few more photo's of what you are considering not up to scratch or indeed dangerous...

This has all the hall marks of a kitchen fitter doing the work and a spark coming to test and sign ofF. Done lots by very established sparks from my experience.

Here's a couple more pics top and bottom going up wall into loft.
Also worryingly I think for us the hob and oven are electric they are Lamona side control hob. Lamona fan assisted oven. LAM3301. Will post pictures later
We will be giving him a chance to out things right. But are still very worried about and would appreciate all comments.
thnx
no pics!

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock