Discuss Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

then it's a bodge up. the hob needs to be on it's own 32A circuit in 6mm cable. end of.

Signed by the first muppet or the 2nd muppets?

What a shambles and I'm afraid you have been done by 2nd rate trades people
Well I have stated in an email I didn't want certs from first guy. So I hope the second lot.
i did ask at the door if fully qualified. Just said yes but didn't show nothing.
Do you guys carry things for id. I thought you did.
thnx

The pic of the hob switch almost definately looks like a 20amp rated switch (but Ill stand corrected) ... you can apply diversity when calculating overall energy demands of the property but you cannot apply it to the switchgear... this should be on its own circuit with a 45amp switch ... as I have stated before, you really need independent inspection as we only see the surface visuals ...and going by them its rings some big alarm bells.

Do not pay!.. your final payment until you have had independent inspection from a non related competent and well established company, it appears they are sending bodgit electricians to cover the first bodgit electricians ---.. your clearly been fobbed off and the workmanship is very poor quality and could be argued unsafe.. but thats down to a deeper inspection.

We appreciate you coming back with updates but you ignore the best advice .... get it checked before you pay, and don't ask them or any linked companies to do it... get a fully independent company.
Thx.
I didn't ignore advice though I will be getting my own inspection. I just gave them a chance to rectify and then let them send an apparent independent when I was still unhappy.
Im aware how it's hard for you guys to confirm things from pics and words and haven't any intention of using or repeating comments. I just read the manuals to them. They are quite clear and I understand a few basics as soon as I looked I was concerned.
I joined here just for some help which I have had an incredible amount of and no one seems to think it's done correctly
Thnx
I'm looking for a local spark at moment. I'm in Hemel Hempstead if anyone's from here. I will of course pay full rates.

Good grief, I could tell you I'm a fully qualified gyneacologist but would you let me operate on your wife's lady parts? I'd guess not.
When you ask a tradesperson if they are qualified they will invariably answer "Yes" however, that level of qualification is open to debate. If you take a little look around on here you'll see many threads from people claiming to be fully qualified domestic installers but all that means is that they have done a very short course.
Get proof of qualifications, ask to see certificates. I wouldn't be offended if someone asked to see mine so why should they be?
Do yourself a massive favour, find a reputable electrician from recommendations from family or friends or reviews on the net (although take these with a pinch of salt) and get this (apparent) lash up checked properly.

Thx.
I didn't ignore advice though I will be getting my own inspection. I just gave them a chance to rectify and then let them send an apparent independent when I was still unhappy.
Im aware how it's hard for you guys to confirm things from pics and words and haven't any intention of using or repeating comments. I just read the manuals to them. They are quite clear and I understand a few basics as soon as I looked I was concerned.
I joined here just for some help which I have had an incredible amount of and no one seems to think it's done correctly
Thnx
I'm looking for a local spark at moment. I'm in Hemel Hempstead if anyone's from here. I will of course pay full rates.

Start a new thread and header it ' Hemel Hempstead - Electrician required ' this should be the best way to see if anyone is local, most members will not have read this thread.

You don't seem to be taking too much notice of the good advice you've been given in your thread. I take it that this second electrician came from the same source as the original electrician. So what are you going to do now, accept this pile of crap as is, or take the good advice you've been given and get an experienced fully qualified independent electrician to access the work carried out by this mottley crew...

As they say, we can only lead you to the water hole, you need to decide whether you drink or not!!

A quick search of the site turned up a guy called E.E.I. might be worth contacting him although I have no idea or clues regarding his provenance. He could be the miscreant in question for all I know but do as Darkwood says

You don't seem to be taking too much notice of the good advice you've been given in your thread. I take it that this second electrician came from the same source as the original electrician. So what are you going to do now, accept this pile of crap as is, or take the good advice you've been given and get an experienced fully qualified independent electrician to access the work carried out by this mottley crew...

As they say, we can only lead you to the water hole, you need to decide whether you drink or not!!
Crickey mate bit harsh
I said I am looking for someone to look next week They are a larger company of electricians I'm waiting for confirmation of time.
Yes both both lots of electricians were supplied by the builders but he said the second was independent and as I knew I couldn't get anyone myself till next week I thought what's too lose.
As for not taking advice I find that hurtful it's only 2 days since I asked for help and I have read and taken on board everything that was posted.
thnx

Crickey mate bit harsh
I said I am looking for someone to look next week They are a larger company of electricians I'm waiting for confirmation of time.
Yes both both lots of electricians were supplied by the builders but he said the second was independent and as I knew I couldn't get anyone myself till next week I thought what's too lose.
As for not taking advice I find that hurtful it's only 2 days since I asked for help and I have read and taken on board everything that was posted.
thnx

Why would you agree for the same builder (considering the mess so far provided) to provide an ''Independent'' Electrician?? How can he possibly be independent?? If you can't get anyone yourself until Monday or even later, fine there's no finite rush, the most important aspect here is an accurate and unbiased assessment by verifiable independent Qualified Electrician....

You should now be thinking about protecting yourself against this mottley crew, not inviting them in to make what can only be described as superficial and/or meaningless aesthetic works....

If my previous post was considered a bit Harsh, it was intended for your own good!!

Why? It comes out at 22.5A before diversity is applied. Why on earth is a 32A supply in 6mm required?

Probably thinking along the lines of a conventional domestic cooking appliance circuit which let's face it, the original cooker cable should have been left in place to supply both Hob and Oven. A new 6mm cable should have been taken from the CU to supply the new electric shower.

Back to the Hob, a 4mm dedicated radial will suffice, but connecting this hob to a ring circuit is definitely not on, what ever way you want to look at it....

Why? It comes out at 22.5A before diversity is applied. Why on earth is a 32A supply in 6mm required?
OK, a 4mm should suffice. depending on ref. method. and i make 5800watts to be 25.2A ( before diversity ). also, manufacturers instructions should be taken into account.

OK, a 4mm should suffice. depending on ref. method. and i make 5800watts to be 25.2A ( before diversity ). also, manufacturers instructions should be taken into account.

Sorry, I was working on 5400W, got this one mixed up with the kitchen I've just quoted.

It's still less than 16A after diversity though, a 20A supply wouldn't be troubled by that load.

Probably thinking along the lines of a conventional domestic cooking appliance circuit which let's face it, the original cooker cable should have been left in place to supply both Hob and Oven. A new 6mm cable should have been taken from the CU to supply the new electric shower.

Back to the Hob, a 4mm dedicated radial will suffice, but connecting this hob to a ring circuit is definitely not on, what ever way you want to look at it....

I think this is the nub of the whole situation.
I'm sure that when the job was priced a new circuit for the shower would of been allowed, there was already a dedicated cooker circuit. no one would look at a job like this and price to re route the cooker circuit for the new shower & feed the cooker off the ring.
Then when they've turned up to do the job they've bodged it to save money. And it looks like taken this philosophy throughout the whole job.

Sorry, I was working on 5400W, got this one mixed up with the kitchen I've just quoted.

It's still less than 16A after diversity though, a 20A supply wouldn't be troubled by that load.

Maybe, but i personally wouldn't install a 2.5 radial to supply a hob, that can be upgraded at anytime for a much larger capacity hob...
4mm would be my choice as a budget radial with a OCPD to suit to supply this hob...

Reply to Help new kitchen nightmare in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net