Discuss Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Junction box in garage which is converted to an office now (man cave) JB was tested, all working fine, still only 1 hall light working, this light "could" be first on circuit, but sparky had no clue which light was next as all other lights are dead

no, like this

cutting holesin ceiling seems a bit drastic. can't boards be lifted upstairs?

If issue is in lounge, I can cut out flooring upstairs, but its been working for 3 years, so I have to presume the latest install, being the Kitchen is the fault, but above that, is my bathroom & I have marble floor tiles in there :(

Im only an amateur diy'er with an interest in electrics but I think I must be missing something here so im happy to be corrected by the forum professional's.

If this was my house then the first thing i would do would be to trace the live loop/radial to see where or if it fails.

Im assuming you know how a basic lighting circuit is wired with the permanent lives (in series/loop/radial circuit with no return leg to the consumer like a socket ring) and switched lives?

As already mentioned regarding the 1 working light, have you pulled all the other fuses to be 100% sure it is fed from the downstairs circuit?

I take it you have so next I would drop the light fitting that is working and check that I had a live loop entering and leaving that fitting using my voltage detector pen. If it doesnt then its a bad connection at that fitting. If it does then I would then check the other fittings to see if there is a live there. If I couldnt find a live at any other fitting then i would know my problem is with the cable leaving the working light and I would trace that cable as it is that or a joint in it that is breaking the loop.

As said im only a diy'er but i successfully mananged to solve issues in my own property using the above logical approach.

I know i havent mentioned neutrals but I would check the live first.

Last edited:
Im only an amateur diy'er with an interest in electrics but I think I must be missing something here so im happy to be corrected by the forum professional's.

If this was my house then the first thing i would do would be to trace the live loop/radial to see where or if it fails.

Im assuming you know how a basic lighting circuit is wired with the permanent lives (in series/loop/radial circuit with no return leg to the consumer like a socket ring) and switched lives?

As already mentioned regarding the 1 working light, have you pulled all the other fuses to be 100% sure it is fed from the downstairs circuit?

I take it you have so next I would drop the light fitting that is working and check that I had a live loop entering and leaving that fitting using my voltage detector pen. If it doesnt then its a bad connection at that fitting. If it does then I would then check the other fittings to see if there is a live there. If I couldnt find a live at any other fitting then i would know my problem is with the cable leaving the working light and I would trace that cable as it is that or a joint in it that is breaking the loop.

As said im only a diy'er but i successfully mananged to solve issues in my own property using the above logical approach.

I know i havent mentioned neutrals but I would check the live first.
logical approach, but i'd not rely on a voltstick. using an approved 2 lead voltage tester and measuring both L-N and L-E at each light would verify whether it was the L or the N that was at fault.

logical approach, but i'd not rely on a voltstick. using an approved 2 lead voltage tester and measuring both L-N and L-E at each light would verify whether it was the L or the N that was at fault.

Fair comment but ive not got one lol. I would like to learn how to use and understand test equipment though. At least you didnt slate my diy'er with no proper equipment approach.:D

Fair comment but ive not got one lol. I would like to learn how to use and understand test equipment though. At least you didnt slate my diy'er with no proper equipment approach.:D
Well Mate, Tel's hardly going to upset someone who comes from his neck of the woods is he?:cool::D

Junction box in garage which is converted to an office now (man cave) JB was tested, all working fine, still only 1 hall light working, this light "could" be first on circuit, but sparky had no clue which light was next as all other lights are dead

Best find another sparky then .................. dead tests using the live , neutral and earth will do this................... just use any 2 cores .............. the last one I fault found WAS a loose neutral from a 10 year old DIY fit (admitted by client) ............. the one before that was due to the kids turning off a Switched fused spur - yes some pillock had added a SFCU ............................

Best find another sparky then .................. dead tests using the live , neutral and earth will do this................... just use any 2 cores .............. the last one I fault found WAS a loose neutral from a 10 year old DIY fit (admitted by client) ............. the one before that was due to the kids turning off a Switched fused spur - yes some pillock had added a SFCU ............................

Reply to Help.. no lights downstairs in my home in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net