• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Help please! 2 Way light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,

Looking for some help to rewrite a 2 way light switch. Can anyone tell me where the wires need to go please?
I have 3 connections going to the switch a 3core + earth and 2 twin & earth.

My assumptions are that the 3core comes from the other switch. It has brown in COM black in L1(sleeved in brown) and grey in L2(sleeved in brown) then I have 2 twin cables with blue, brown and earth. One comes directly from the ligh and the other is the live to give it power.

Many thanks in anticipation

Last edited:
You start off by saying a two way socket....I assume you mean two way lighting. Like the sort of thing you get at the bottom and top of stairs to operate a landing light.

Hello,

Looking for some help to rewrite a 2 way light switch. Can anyone tell me where the wires need to go please?
I have 3 connections going to the switch a 3core + earth and 2 twin & earth.

My assumptions are that the 3core comes from the other switch. It has brown in COM black in L1(sleeved in brown) and grey in L2(sleeved in brown) then I have 2 twin cables with blue, brown and earth. One comes directly from the ligh and the other is the live to give it power.

Many thanks in anticipation

Just to be on the safe side, it might be advisable for you to post a picture, if possible?

Is the circuit safely isolated, and what is your level of expertise?

Just to clarify.
You have removed a switch which controlled three different circuits, namely a two way lighting, a fan and and outside light.
You have removed the outside light, but retained the fan and the two way lighting.
I'm guessing you now want to change the current 3gang switch to a two gang switch.
( It's always nice to have all the information before trying to offer a solution)
PS top tip for the future. Before starting any of this type of work (assuming you are competent), take pictures using your smart phone and do a simple drawing so you know what went where

I am a DIYer, fitted a few switches and sockets in the past. It's part of an extension to my house that runs on its own fuse box so all electric to this part of the house if off and tested with a tester pen. That's how I know which wire has power and that the others dont

Just to clarify.
You have removed a switch which controlled three different circuits, namely a two way lighting, a fan and and outside light.
You have removed the outside light, but retained the fan and the two way lighting.
I'm guessing you now want to change the current 3gang switch to a two gang switch.
( It's always nice to have all the information before trying to offer a solution)
PS top tip for the future. Before starting any of this type of work (assuming you are competent), take pictures using your smart phone and do a simple drawing so you know what went where
Normally I would have taken a pic, but as the switch is different I thought it would be no use.

I am changing from a 3 switch to a single. The fan and the outside light have been removed.
Cheers

U need to link the neutrals together from the two twin and earth cables.
And take the feed and put it into L1, along with the black of the 3 core. And take the brown that goes to the light fitting and put it into L2 along with the grey of the 3 core. As long as at both your switches the common is brown from 3 core this should work for you.

Reply to Help please! 2 Way light switch in the DIY Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back