Discuss Help please signing off work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Ben Grimm Lee

Hi peeps

I know this has probably been asked a million times i have looked everywhere for an answer but im getting
Different answers everywhere i look
I want know what i need to be able to sign my own work if
Im nearly done on my 2365 lv3 im starting my 2392 on monday 17th edition regs in feb
Im working for an electrician and have been. For nearly 2 years ive contacted and im in the process of registering with napit started as student membership

I would like to know is this enough?
What will the 2394 alow me to do and what will the 2395 allow me to do?
If there is an existing thread could you please link my to it??

Thank you in advance guys
Ben

Last edited by a moderator:
Once you are a member of NAPIT you will be able to register your work with BC and use NAPITS certs for a nominal small fee per job.
Otherwise you will need to provide a generic cert and pay BC to register your work as a non scheme member,expect to pay several hundred pounds per job.

Why are you doing the 2392 ? This is basic testing that should have been covered in your 2365.

The 2394 and 2395 will expand your knowledge and understanding of initial verification of installation and periodic testing respectively. They are aimed at those already experienced in testing and inspection.

Any electrician that is qualified and experienced should be able to test, inspect, and certify their own work.

Why are you doing the 2392 ? This is basic testing that should have been covered in your 2365.

The 2394 and 2395 will expand your knowledge and understanding of initial verification of installation and periodic testing respectively. They are aimed at those already experienced in testing and inspection.

Any electrician that is qualified and experienced should be able to test, inspect, and certify their own work.

They can.....but if it also requires registering with BC unless you are a member of a scam you are going to be seriously uncompetitive.
The OP's question should really be aimed at his chosen scheme, NAPIT....what do they require of him to become a member,only then will he be able to 'sign off' work which needs to be registered with BC at a cost that is not prohibitive.

They can.....but if it also requires registering with BC unless you are a member of a scam you are going to be seriously uncompetitive.
The OP's question should really be aimed at his chosen scheme, NAPIT....what do they require of him to become a member,only then will he be able to 'sign off' work which needs to be registered with BC at a cost that is not prohibitive.

Yep, but the OP was not very clear as to the meaning of "sign off". I chose to answer the bit that I did.

Yep, but the OP was not very clear as to the meaning of "sign off". I chose to answer the bit that I did.

Yes, there's nothing to prevent him doing a MW cert for a socket fed from an existing circuit in Mrs Jones lounge now,effectively 'signing' that off.....but if he does a CU change which by law has to be registered with BC he's going to be stung big time if he's not in a scam.

Yes, there's nothing to prevent him doing a MW cert for a socket fed from an existing circuit in Mrs Jones lounge now,effectively 'signing' that off.....but if he does a CU change which by law has to be registered with BC he's going to be stung big time if he's not in a scam.

I am well aware of all of this :D

Not quite, testing inspecting and signing the certficates can be done by any competent person.
It is only notification of work which falls within the remit of part P which requires either registration with a scam or other registration with BC.

He makes no mention of whether he is doing domestic or non domestic work

OP does say Napit student membership, which is £25 + vat a year, and is just a precursor to full membership for LBC notification etc, once student is qualified.

Last edited:
OP does say Napit student membership, which is £25 + vat a year, and is just a precursor to full membership for LBC notification etc, once student is qualified.

Yet another totally useless & meaningless scam to take money from us. I wonder if there is a committee somewhere that sits and dreams up ways of shafting our industry

Midwest what does this £25 a year get us mate

Not quite, testing inspecting and signing the certficates can be done by any competent person.
It is only notification of work which falls within the remit of part P which requires either registration with a scam or other registration with BC.

He makes no mention of whether he is doing domestic or non domestic work

True.....if he's not doing domestic work. However as he's mentioned NAPIT which is a pointless scheme unless you are doing domestic I assume he is. To clarify the reason NAPIT is pointless, commercial and industrial will invariably ask for NICEIC approved status.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yet another totally useless & meaningless scam to take money from us. I wonder if there is a committee somewhere that sits and dreams up ways of shafting our industry

Midwest what does this £25 a year get us mate

Its actually quite good value for money for £25+vat;

Free technical advice. Reduced rate insurance. FREE copies of the Competent Person Magazine. Updates on changing regulations. Discounts on testing equipment. A membership pack.

Then it all goes horribly wrong; Straight forward route to NAPIT registration once you leave College or University.

Don't know what you get then, for the extra £460!
:hammer:

Reply to Help please signing off work in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net