Discuss Help please with doorbells in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Brian M

Hi,
Ive just tried to fit the Honeywell Skybell trim door push to my existing mechanical chime and it seemed to go fine. The Skybell door push seems to work fine but my mechanical chime is constantly ringing, not sure why. Any suggestions? My chime has a 14v transformer and the door push says it requires anything between 8-30vac or 12vdc transformer. In the UK here. Picture of current chime attached.

Thanks.
Brian

Help please with doorbells 20170809_175312 - EletriciansForums.net

Not sure because the video function is not activating all the time. Its just the mechanical door chime that is making a noise without pressing the push. If you press the push the video starts to work.

Hi Brian,

In a normal setup, your chime, the transformer and the switch form a simple circuit where no power can flow until the switch is pressed. For active devices such as the Skybell, power must be flowing all the time (to power the integrated electronics).

It sounds like this permanent flow is enough to energise the coil sufficiently for it to strike the chime.

If you look at the very brief installation instructions, when operating without a chime, it's necessary to include a load resistor (I believe it's 10 ohms with a power rating of 10 watts). You could try adding a resistor in series (i.e. disconnect one of the switch wires at the transformer, connect the resistor to it and then the other end to the terminal strip). This may restrict the current flow enough to stop the chime working, whilst allowing the device to operate.

Personally, I'd try the 10 ohms 10w resistor they recommend as a starting point and see how it goes.

Sadly no sucess with the resistor. It slowed down a bit but was still ringing. Also the skybell didn't work. Any other suggestions?

The chime you have... when you pressed your old bell push, did it ring continuously or just chime once?

I've just looked up the Legrand part no "0 412 43". The documentation says you must take lamps out of the bell pushes (in the case of illuminated pushes) which suggests to me that it requires very little current flowing through the device to drive it.

I suspect, given the transformer is mounted on a PCB that on the other side of that is a driver circuit that turns the coil on and off to generate the constant ringing which that bell should provide.

If the current flowing through an illuminated bell push is enough to trigger it, it's unlikely you'll be able to use it with the SkyBell system as that's likely to require more current than a bell push lamp.

In this instance, I'd say you're out of luck and you probably need to change the sounder part of the system.

Unfortunately I don't have any experience of either so am unwilling to say yes it will definitely work, but I suspect it would be fine.

Reply to Help please with doorbells in the Commercial Electrical Advice area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock