• If you have electrical work available, then you are in the correct forum.

Post details of the position you have on offer in this forum. Domestic / homeowners are also welcome to post electrical work they have available on their property. Or you're welcome to seach for a Local Electrician in our directory.

Discuss Help Required - Newport and Cardiff Area in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net

This person requires some work. They've hopefully explained their skills and qualifications and what area they're in. Otherwise, what's the bloody point?

SparkyChick

Staff member
Mod
Mentor
Esteemed
Arms
Supporter
Patron
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'm trying to grow my business and that ultimately means taking on bigger jobs which are simply too big for me to handle on my own, so I'm looking for some help that I can call on as I need. This is likely to be domestic work initially, but I don't want to limit myself to just domestic.

I'd like to be able to call on a couple of people, so if you fit either of the descriptions below and would be available in the Newport and/or Cardiff areas, please get in touch using the messaging system here on the forums.

Experienced semi-retired electrician
I'd like an experienced semi-retired electrician I can call on to bring some experience into the business, to be a mentor for me (and if a very big job, the second kind of person I'm after) on larger jobs that I may simply not feel confident tackling without more experience on board.

For you guys and gals, if you can let me know your experience, qualifications etc. that would be great.

Mature trainee looking for experience
I'd like a trainee (or several) I can call in to assist on larger jobs. The 'mature' part is not as simple as being defined by age. I want someone who will work, who wants to learn and won't be glued to social media (or these forums ;) ) all day, and most importantly who can take instruction without back chat even if things are a bit fraught as they can sometime be in a pressure situation. That said, I don't want someone who will blindly do exactly what they are asked to... by that I mean I want someone who can work under their own initiative and someone who will challenge me when what they are being asked to do is clearly wrong.

For you guys and gals, if you can let me know where you're studying, what qualifications you have, what you're studying now, some contact details for your college/tutor if possible (yes, I'd like to chat with them) that would be grand.

And I should clarify one point... If you're a bloke, whilst my company is called SparkyChick, please don't think you'll be wearing pink (company colours do NOT include pink) or t-shirts branded with SparkyChick, although the idea of having a bright pink 'naughty t-shirt' is quite appealing ;)

Also, if you get in touch, please don't be afraid to ask me questions. As stated, I'm looking to grow my business and who knows if you're a trainee and you like working for me and I like working with you, if the timing is right there could be a permanent position available.

Thanks for reading :)

Good luck Sparkychick in your quest. I haven't tried to find electricians, apprentices etc, but I know of couple of guys who have and it's proved problematic. I've also had some school leavers contact me hoping to gain an apprenticeship or just some experience. Did a CV and everything, my business is too small to take them on, quite sad really. All I could do, was give them some contacts to try.

If I was nearer, I'd give you a shout, I might even learn something :)

I'd join just for the pink t-shirt ;)
Could be popular :)

IMG_0641.JPG

Thanks @Midwest :)

What sort of problems? Was it kind of the usual hiring issues like trying to figure out if they were in fact any good?

Just finding decent staff, and the salary played a particular part! Knew a guy who had to get rid of an electricians mate, due to attitude to work. Another took on an apprentice (self funded), but he left once qualified. I suppose it's more problematic for sole traders or small companies, than larger ones that can absorb the cost and dysfunction, the turn over of staff causes.

I guess that it is knowing another spark in your area that you could use for projects like these when you need that second pair of hands and vice versa. Whether that comes from chance meeting in the wholesaler or off the forum, if we are sole traders then we'll all get that job sometimes that will shave the time off when using a second person.
You could put a card up in the wholesalers in your area - bit of advice though, USE LESS WORDS!
Seriously think about the mature learner who is attending college at the moment because they are you where you were 2 or 3 years ago, just waiting for that opportunity.
My opportunity came knocking with just one person answering my notice, that led to the NVQ portfolio filled with evidence over 14 months and my confidence sky rocketed. I'm now subbing as electricians mate to an electrical company and fitting in my private jobs to get my name out there. This forum has been the most help, there would be a gap in my knowledge if it wasn't there.
Can't finish this post without thanking God who has helped and guided me through my incredible change of career journey. Where have my first 8 jobs come from? the church x4 the dentist x1 and the neighbours x3 and that's how you build your reputation.
Sorry for the long post - so much for LESS WORDS!
All the best with it @SparkyChick

Afternoon SparkyChick

Male
Own transport and tools
Pontypridd

Currently coming towards the end of a domestic electrical course and am looking for experience / knowledge. Have experience of first and second fix

Can provide you with contact info of the training center if required.

I have my own LTD company so theres no issue with PAYE etc

Reply to Help Required - Newport and Cardiff Area in the Electricians Jobs area at ElectriciansForums.net