Discuss Help to start... college/apprenticeships in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Craigrathie

Hi folks

New to the forum world so apologies if I've done this wrong. I'm looking for some advice from some experienced tradesman!

I'm looking for a change of career and hope to eventually become a qualified electrician. I'm currently 30yrs old and I'm a tree surgeon (bored of it) and was hoping for some advice to move into this trade.
I have the full works... wife, kid, mortgage etc...
I don't think an apprenticeship is feasible due to the huge drop in money. Does anyone have any advice as to how I can do it differently? I've found a part time/home study course which would mean I'd eventually receive a
City & Guilds 2365 Diploma in Electrical Installation Level 2 & Level 3 (Buildings & Structures), probably over a few years but it would be around 5 grand! Hopefully worth it in the end!

Would this, plus my 17th Edition be a suitable path to take and help me find a job once qualified? Or are there better ways/courses?
I understand I have would have little 'work experience ' but I can't see any other way!

Thanks in advance folks

Welcome to the forum Craig - do some searching for other threads, welcome threads and advice threads as there is a miriad of useful stuff giving you exactly the answer that you are after.
Get a pen and paper, cup of tea and take some handy hints down. If you use a pc or laptop there are 'similar threads' at the bottom so go from 1 to another until you've exhausted or you are.
All the best

You also need an am2 and an nvq3 so add another 2 to 3 thousand on that depending on who you do it with. I did day release to college on a Friday to do my technical certs, I was working for an agency at the time and they was fine with it. So still earning 4 days money although only about £12 an hour so not the best. I was 30 when I started and had the 'kids, mortgage, wife' scenario. It was hard but I got through it and now fully qualified it was well worth it

I personally took the evening college route, it cost about 2 and a half grand and took 3 years two evenings a week while I worked onsite as a labourer. Then once I'd watched the sparks and how they went about their work while picking up general building skills and knowledge myself, I then spoke to one of the sparks about getting a job with them. I then started on my portfolio to complete my NVQ3 while working for different firms picking up anything from metal munching to home automation and security and fire alarm systems and some heavy plant equipment and control systems. It has taken me ten years so far and I still have lots to learn but I consider myself to be a competent spark in many areas.

You also need an am2 and an nvq3 so add another 2 to 3 thousand on that depending on who you do it with. I did day release to college on a Friday to do my technical certs, I was working for an agency at the time and they was fine with it. So still earning 4 days money although only about £12 an hour so not the best. I was 30 when I started and had the 'kids, mortgage, wife' scenario. It was hard but I got through it and now fully qualified it was well worth it

Thanks for the advice..

By 'tech certs' do you mean the city and guilds level 2/3 or the am2/nvq3?
I'm just trying to find a way to dodge the apprenticeship I guess. Not that I really want to as I'd prefer the experience.
I understand I've no experience so chances of anyone taking me on (for a reasonable wage) would be slim. I just hoped even getting my L2 first then potentially getting work as an electricians mate? Then complete the L3 and move on with the am2 and nvq3.
Does that sound sensible ish??
Sorry for all the questions!

I would get a job as a mate though so you can start learning straight away

I wouldn't be able to become an electricians mate without any experience though would I? I take it I'd still need experience and some form of training behind me? I've been looking at those jobs and they all ask for years of experience

You need city and guilds 2+3 before you can go for you adult route Am2 that's what I did, be prepared to spend the money it's not cheap but worth it in the end. Without the am2 (nvq3) you won't be able to obtain your JIB gold card as a graded electrician.

Thanks folks appreciate all the advice given. Sounds like I'm in for a bit of a long slog and parting with a fair bit of cash. But the general consensus is that 'its worth it'.
Think I'll be getting my level 2 and be getting my blagging hat on for an electricians mate job (although I'll be under qualified). L3, nvq3 along route. If anyone's in the midlands and fancies taking on a hard worker that comes cheap (ish) Let me know

Cheers

Reply to Help to start... college/apprenticeships in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock