Discuss help to wire combi boiler for underfloor heating and house radiators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

aldo95

-
Reaction score
Hi there. Major cyber pint for anyone that can help me with this problem.

I have a vokera vision c combi boiler( which has volt free connections) that has to do the house radiators and one room for underfloor heating. There is one motorised two port valve for Radiators and one for the underfloor heating. I have a salus two channel programmer to control the house radiators / underfloor heating separately. There's a pump for the underfloor heating and I've also got two bog standard dial room stats(one to control house radiators and one to control the underfloor heating.

If anyone could help and give me the idiots guide to wiring all this up as my head is a bit fried with this
I'm just getting a bit confused with volt free connections at boiler/ then using 230v as well to switch things.

Any help at all would be great, as im under a bit of pressure to get this going.

Thanks

I always use a 15a strip connector and gwiss adaptable box. Bring 3a switched fused supply into box, feed boiler with 5 core and use 2 cores to fetch 24v from volt free terminals into box.

From supply in the box into timer, timer to thermostat, thermostat to brown on zone valves.

Volt from boiler to grey and orange on valve end switch.

To expand on this now im at a desktop pc and not on my iphone -

Take a supply to the time clock, then channel 1 from time clock to thermostat 1 then from thermostat 1 to brown on zone valve 1 and repeat for channel 2 etc.

Common the Neutrals and Earths in the box.

Last edited:
I always use a 15a strip connector and gwiss adaptable box. Bring 3a switched fused supply into box, feed boiler with 5 core and use 2 cores to fetch 24v from volt free terminals into box.

From supply in the box into timer, timer to thermostat, thermostat to brown on zone valves.

Volt from boiler to grey and orange on valve end switch.

To expand on this now im at a desktop pc and not on my iphone -

Take a supply to the time clock, then channel 1 from time clock to thermostat 1 then from thermostat 1 to brown on zone valve 1 and repeat for channel 2 etc.

Common the Neutrals and Earths in the box.

Thanks for reply dansk!

Can I use 230v wall stats or do I need to use volt free ones?

Cheers again

Everything is 230v except the "boiler enable signal" which is the 24vDC from the boiler aka Volt Free.

Not sure how to explain this - but the all you doing is using 230v volt throughout and the volt free is been switched back to the boiler by the micro end switch in the zone valves. The Grey and Orange are separate to the Brown and Blue in zone valves.

Hi there. Major cyber pint for anyone that can help me with this problem.

I have a vokera vision c combi boiler( which has volt free connections) that has to do the house radiators and one room for underfloor heating. There is one motorised two port valve for Radiators and one for the underfloor heating. I have a salus two channel programmer to control the house radiators / underfloor heating separately. There's a pump for the underfloor heating and I've also got two bog standard dial room stats(one to control house radiators and one to control the underfloor heating.

If anyone could help and give me the idiots guide to wiring all this up as my head is a bit fried with this
I'm just getting a bit confused with volt free connections at boiler/ then using 230v as well to switch things.

Any help at all would be great, as im under a bit of pressure to get this going.

Thanks

Just for the craic,how is the U/F heating pump arranged in relation to the combi pumped CH circuit? :28:

Right, we are a step nearer the conclusion! Does the manifold come with a connection unit? The actuators for the underfloor loops are usually low voltage so are usually connected via a controller which usually has a row of terminals for room stats, a row for corresponding actuators and two sets of terminals, one to supply a pump when the underfloor is calling and one that is volt free and closes when the underfloor is calling to give a supply to a zone valve on the Brown and Blue cores and then fire the boiler via the Grey and Orange on the zone valves internal switch. The controller usually has it's own 230V supply.

Last edited:
Right, we are a step nearer the conclusion! Does the manifold come with a connection unit? The actuators for the underfloor loops are usually low voltage so are usually connected via a controller which usually has a row of terminals for room stats, a row for corresponding actuators and two sets of terminals, one to supply a pump when the underfloor is calling and one that is volt free and closes when the underfloor is calling to give a supply to a zone valve on the Brown and Blue cores and then fire the boiler via the Grey and Orange on the zone valves internal switch. The controller usually has it's own 230V supply.

Yes mate. The ufh kit came with 1x actuator and wiring centre with all the terminals that you've mentioned. I've since spoken to the manufacturer ( John guest) and they said I wouldn't need to use an actuator as I'm only using one heating loop from the manifold. They also said I could wire it all up just using a joint box instead of the wiring control centre that was provided.

I'd use the wiring centre regardless TBH, with it giving you the terminals to do the necessary things needed without messing about. I'm presuming that the actuator is 230V then with them saying you can just use a JB? I've never dealt with mains voltage actuators although I guess they all work the same!

The guy from John guest seemed to be quite clear that I didn't need to use the actuator at all. He basically said if I had more than one heating loop on the manifold, the actuators would be required. I've actually got pics of the job on my phone. If I knew how to upload them onto hear that would maybe help more

Reply to help to wire combi boiler for underfloor heating and house radiators in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net