Discuss Help with advice on training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

M

Madhatter

Good afternoon guys

first time poster

I started my working life off as I carpenter and done most things along the way, I'm now working in maintenace and have been looking at additional training for the last couple of months.

I'm looking at doing a city and guilds course in electrics what's the best options for me I know enought that I need a decent college course and not a 6 week course

so basically what's the correct courses that I can complete so I'm a trained electrican

many thanks in advance

Re: Help with advise on training

Eh up, and welcome :)

Surprised no-one's answered this yet, so here's my take on it. Note I'm a trainee myself, not qualified, so take what I say with a healthy degree of skepticism, and check facts.

C&G 2357's the one you want, ultimately. This will take you to NVQ 3 standard. However, you need to be employed to do the NVQ part, as you need to show a portfolio of work that you've done.

If you're not employed in the trade, then do the C&G 2365 (level 2 then level 3). This is the fundamental theory and practice of electrotechnical craft (or whatever they call it!). You don't need to be employed in the trade to do this course. However, successful completion of this course will NOT make you a qualified electrician - you will be qualified to be an electrician's mate. However, you can "convert" your 2365 L3 into an 2357 by doing a bridging module, and by completing a portfolio (for your NVQ) whilst in employment. The cost of this conversion (2365 to 2357) is "quite a few hundred quid" (£850 I was quoted).

After you've done either of the above - or whilst you're doing them, I guess - you can then take your 17th edition (2382) and 2394/2395. Some say "you don't need 2382 as you cover it in your 2357/2365" but it's so widely recognised (even if pretty pointless) it might well be worth it for avoiding hassle of those unfamiliar with the contents of 2357/2365.

Hope that helps. :)

Re: Help with advise on training

Hi Steve

thanks for your reply.

Your use answer has given me a better idea of courses to take

I'm going to speak to my local collage about costing of C&G 2357 as I can complete a portfolio with my current employer

Reply to Help with advice on training in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net