Discuss Help With Diodes And Voltage Drop in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

M

mmanzano88

hi guys, im having a problem wiring some relays that need to be activated by 2 different signals, i try putting a diode on one of the signal wires so electricity wont flow thru the other signal wire, but now im having a huge voltage drop, and the relay is not activating by the wire that has the diode in line, i can see my test light very dime compare to direct current.

im going to check to see how much voltage im getting exactly, any other ideas of how to wire a relay with 2 different signal without them interfering with each other, im trying to make a 93 computer engine, work on a 67 mustang ignition switch.

any help or will be very appreciated

hi guys, im having a problem wiring some relays that need to be activated by 2 different signals, i try putting a diode on one of the signal wires so electricity wont flow thru the other signal wire, but now im having a huge voltage drop, and the relay is not activating by the wire that has the diode in line, i can see my test light very dime compare to direct current.

im going to check to see how much voltage im getting exactly, any other ideas of how to wire a relay with 2 different signal without them interfering with each other, im trying to make a 93 computer engine, work on a 67 mustang ignition switch.

any help or will be very appreciated

Wow are you really from Texas?

thought you just hot-wired them all in texas. :gru:

no, i havent, i tested them to see which direction they went, i did notice they still have resistance the way they suppost to be wired, the other way around is and open circuit if you apply reverse votage

and telectrix, maybe the ones that still the cars lol, as a matter of fact im fixing all the wires that the old customer install, it was bad and ugly, an accident awaiting to happen lol..... but you dont have to be disrespectful either......

was meant as a joke. being from liverpool, i get those comments directed at me usually. no disrespect to texas or america in general. after you did beat us in 1776. lol.

was meant as a joke. being from liverpool, i get those comments directed at me usually. no disrespect to texas or america in general. after you did beat us in 1776. lol.

lol well good to heard that, and it doesnt matter who beat who, we are all humans and were all the same.... peace

Draw the circuit out and describe what you hope to achieve, I’m not playing 20 questions
Nobody asked you to Tony. Miserable sod.

Do you know anything about circuit design Dan?

The OP hasn’t given any clue as to what he’s trying to achieve. I’ve an idea, but there again I may be barking up the wrong tree and that would a waste of my time and your bandwidth.

With a clear and concise description and the job will either be done or written off as impractical.

Yes I am a miserable sod, but I’m a clever miserable sod.

I suspect the "diode" you have used can not pass enough current to power the relay or is the wrong type voltage wise.
Automotive relays use a fair bit of power to energise.

Ps what diode is it

If you use another relay that can switch between inputs then they will be separated and the output will be either from input one or input two with no interference.
However you would get a break in operation in changing from input one to input two.
I am sure there is a better way of doing but cannot remember how at the moment.
I am also not sure of the power requirements you need to operate an engine ignition switch.
In this diagram input two will override input one.
Help With Diodes And Voltage Drop two input one output relays - EletriciansForums.net

I am not familiar with American cars. But the lads are right , more info is needed .
If these are ECU controlled electrics the Engine control unit. may be reading the extraneous current and shutting that circuit out .

Reply to Help With Diodes And Voltage Drop in the Auto Electrician Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock