Discuss Help with faulty fluorescent light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hi guys, first post on here.
I've recently fitted 4 new high frequency control gears into 4 old fittings. I've removed all the old gear out of the fitting with the exception of the lamp holders and fitted 4 new 70 watt twin electronic ballasts. Completed necessary wiring within the fitting, new lamps fitted, job done.
One fitting is playing up, it lights for an hour or even a day and then goes out. The light will come back on if its switched off and on again. I've tried a new gear in it and the problem still persists. Anyone have any ideas, I'm out of them.
Niall

Sounds like a faulty ballast to me, try a new one.
As an aside, did you not consider converting to LED. No ballast required, just the extra costs of the lamps, probably similar price.

Possibly the new gear is positioned such that it is not getting enough ventilation and so overheating?
Check all connections and test for high resistance connections.
As said above check the lamp holders are clean and functional.

I'm with andyb on this, why convert to hf when led tubes are less than £15 each, labour costs are considerably less as there's little to modify, beats me, but hey ho.

EDIT
Re: fault, try swapping a known working ballast with the faulty one and vicky verky, if the fault moves across then it's a faulty ballast, simples.

I'm with andyb on this, why convert to hf when led tubes are less than £15 each, labour costs are considerably less as there's little to modify, beats me, but hey ho.
In my experience the led lamps aren't up to much. Light output is not great. I removed the light fitting from the office and rewired it at home, same issue. I'll put new lamps in it in case that's the problem. I'll get back.

I converted my garage 5ft flori to LED and its brilliant. As much light as before and instant on. great as I tend to pop in and out so the flori often hadn't even woken up by the time I switched it off again.

I converted my garage 5ft flori to LED and its brilliant. As much light as before and instant on. great as I tend to pop in and out so the flori often hadn't even woken up by the time I switched it off again.

Did my shed replaced 4 x 18 w florrys for 4 x 9w leds its that bright I strip off naked cos i think i may get a suntan!
Installed 10x 5f at work as a trial over a year ago all going strong and super bright. Reason for trial is its in a hot area so we were worried about heat affecting them.

The ones in my shed were converted L+N at on end the ones at work were the full fitting.

Reply to Help with faulty fluorescent light. in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock