Discuss Help with motor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hello people
i I need some help with motor connections I need to replace a tyre machine motor, I have the new motor but it's not quite the same I have a 4 pole 1hp motor cap/run/start the wiring on it shows how to wire in two opposite directions problem I have is you can only choose one or the other by moving links but I need both directions
its supplied from a foot peddle with a switch on push down for one direction up for the opposite with a separate lines for each
is there any way of making this work thanks

Yes there is but it's far outside of being the kinda job you can do yourself by the sounds of things. The forward/reverse controls are built into the machine, somewhere there will be contactors and an associated overload that determine the direction the motor runs.

You're going to need someone who's experienced with motor control systems to help you do this for several reasons. Most importantly if you work on this machine and someone is injured or killed you're going to end up in front of a judge and you're going to need to be able to prove your competency. Also you need to be insured appropriately for retrofitting or rewiring of machine controls. Finally if you do mis-wire this motor it's going to burn it out and possibly damage the controls so it could be an expensive learning curve as well. Even if you're a qualified sparky there's parts of the machine that fall outside the 7671 installation regs such as safety systems/E-Stop etc.

With a reversible PSC motor, usually there are two identical windings. One end of each goes to N. The other ends have the cap connected between them. Feed to one from the up contact, other from the down, so depending on which contact is made one or other becomes the cap winding. Your setup might differ...

No, not necessarily, hence my comment at the end. Just giving a clue as to the general concept.

hi thanks for the replys I'm not sure how to get a picture up of the wiring instructions but i will try to explain
clockwise rotation N=z2 link to U2 Sc between v2 z1
L=U1 link to v1 Rc between v1 z1
Anti clockwise L=u1 to z1 N=V1 to u2 sc and rc the same

as far as i can tell the pedal is the switch don't seem to see any contractors or relays
don't worry the machine is only used for a motor sport hobby i obesely don't want anyone to get injured

i do know some controls i work on commercial boilers and controls just haven't had much experience on motors
i have made a wiring diagram with 2 4 pole relays but just wanted to see if there was a better way

Does the motor have a centrifugal start switch built into it? How many capacitors does it have?

WIRING%20DIAGRAMS.pdf

has start cap and run cap
centrifugal start switch I'm unsure

Okay, all I can tell you is you're going to need 4 wires +cpc from the motor (U1, V1, U2, Z2) into the machine and all the motor bridging links will need removing. Leave the caps connected across V1-Z1 and V2-Z1. How it wires on the machine side is anybody's bet, it is possible it's straight from a foot switch although I don't know how they would interlock the external safety(s) into the circuit, my bet would be a reversing starter with contactors or maybe relays.

that is great its a very old machine think safety's on this are none existent
i do allready have 4 wires from pedal to the motor as far was i could work out it was one l&n for one direction and one for the other I'm assuming one l&n to z2 and u1 and the other to v1 u2 or would this be incorrect

I could have sworn that the original post referred to a PSC motor but now it says CSCR - but it doesn't say it was edited. Otherwise I wouldn't have mentioned how PSC motors are normally reversed. Did it magically change? Sorry for confusing info if it said that all along.

No problem, when I first read the OP it said 'cap/run/start', that was why I was confused by your post #4 and questioned it in the following post.

If an edit is made by anyone but staff after a post has been standing for a couple of minutes it will always have details of the edit visible.

Reply to Help with motor in the Industrial Electricians' Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net