Discuss Help with tankless water heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

B

Breezybri

I know this is probably more of a place for electricians to have discussions with each other but we need help! My boyfriend recently installed a tankless water heater in our house. I've used the hot water a little but not much. I was using it tonight for awhile to wash dishes, and suddenly the kitchen lights and porch light started flickering, and then the water went cold. My boyfriend messed with the breaker, turned it off and on, and now the whole kitchen, which is connected to two or three different breakers, has no power, unless the water is turned on. Any ideas on what we could do to fix this? The main thing we are worried about at this exact moment is that our refrigerator isn't on.

Hey and welcome but sorry under these circumstances. Could and have you run an extension lead from another power circuit for the fridge whilst you call a local electrician to have a look. Do that first then breathe. Get someone out if you feel that the boyfriend could do with help. Post your area of the country and although a busy time of year someone may be able to visit to test. Hang fire for advice as well but get the power to the fridge sorted.

Tankless water heaters take a lot of power so I would suspect that a connection has overheated somewhere and caused a power failure. Possibly near the incoming supply.
Do you have any smell of burning or melting plastic anywhere along the cable route for the water heater or at the circuit breaker box? If so then I would not recommend trying to use power, as this may make things worse, and call someone to check quickly.
Do you have a GFCI protecting a block of circuits that may have tripped?
It definitely sounds like a significant fault and I would avoid using the water heater until the problem is sorted.

I know this is probably more of a place for electricians to have discussions with each other but we need help! My boyfriend recently installed a tankless water heater in our house. I've used the hot water a little but not much. I was using it tonight for awhile to wash dishes, and suddenly the kitchen lights and porch light started flickering, and then the water went cold. My boyfriend messed with the breaker, turned it off and on, and now the whole kitchen, which is connected to two or three different breakers, has no power, unless the water is turned on. Any ideas on what we could do to fix this? The main thing we are worried about at this exact moment is that our refrigerator isn't on.
Your Boyfriend, is not an Electrician then, your best option is to call an Electrician and get some professional help.

Ok, didn't pick up on "Texas" I mean, why would I?
Being about 2 in the morning, there will probably be a number of posts waiting for her over breakfast!

Yes it was two in the morning. Apparently my lack of sleep didn't let me notice I was posting to the uk. Way to go, blondie. Lol. I really appreciate the responses though. We passed out shortly after this post (what the hell are you supposed to do at two in the morning lol). And of course bad luck is on our side and we both woke up late for work. He has to give an hour notice to call in -.- . So at this point we are relying on small hopes all our frozen stuff doesn't completely thaw, and if it does I guess we'll be eating like kings right? (If we manage to get the stove to work I guess.) I think the bfs dad is good with wiring and such so he may get him over tonight. We shall see. Thank y'all! Oh, and we didn't vote for either so it's not the trump bad luck. :p

think it will be an easy find what's caused the problem. overload on the tankless heater is a favourite. plug fridgfe/freezer into a socket that works, even next door neighbour's. i could pop over but i don't think you'd appreciate the £5000 call-out ( inc. 1st class return flight).

think it will be an easy find what's caused the problem. overload on the tankless heater is a favourite. plug fridgfe/freezer into a socket that works, even next door neighbour's. i could pop over but i don't think you'd appreciate the £5000 call-out ( inc. 1st class return flight).
I totally have that kind of money just lyin around man come on out. :p Can't you tell from the bf installing it instead of someone else? Lol. I appreciate yalls advice. Still at work for a few more hours but I'll letcha know once we get things situated.

Reply to Help with tankless water heater in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net