Discuss Help with test and inspection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
I have replaced a distribution board. Now in the process of testing circuits and found a 2.5 twin and earth on the cooker circuit.

Now this job will be getting inspected by the NICEIC. Here's the apparent problem:

the 2.5 t+e spur must be joined under the floor board, the client does not want me to rectify it just yet until the circumstance are better, does not want me ripping kitchen laminate flooring up. This is also a job i did for free for friend of a friend so that i have suitable jobs to be inspected.

So I will just write it up on my report and fail. However now I have the issue where I know the cooker circuit has a 2.5mm spur on a 40 amp breaker.

The client has an electrical cooker.

Do I leave 40 amp breaker in with note on test certificate ? What does one do in this situation when client don't want job done even for free. Surely cooker trip on a 20amp breaker.

many thanks in advance.

JS

try it full on and clampit. you might be able to fit a 20A MCB.

Do you know what is at the end of 2.5 T&E spur. What is 2.5 cable likely to draw under normal working conditions. ie 1 sgl socket or a fused spur etc. Agree with above with regard down fusing if possible but would read BS7671 Reg 433.2.2 and 434.2

You can't code it as your not doing an EICR.
the best thing you can do is remove the fused spur, put cables in connectors, and blank it of, home owner will be safe, and if its a problem they will get you to put it right ASAP, make a note on your cert

The problem with fitting a 20A MCB is that if and when the cooker trips it sometime in the future, it will simply get "upgraded" to a 32/40A. I know that's "not his problem", but I'd feel happier doing what chilli says, and blank it off, with the ultimate aim of finding the join and disconnecting it.

As you have fitted a new CU you must use the appropriate protective device for the circuit otherwise your work will not comply. As above I think I would disconnect the cooker on those grounds if you feel the load is too great for the circuit..what happens after you leave is the clients business...however I think you'll find if you explain what you are doing and why they will have you back to rectify pretty sharpish..!

To reiterate, you should be completing an EIC so codes are not relevent.

You need to decide whether to leave it as is and note on the cert or push the client to agree to fix it.

Welcome to the real world!

To reiterate, you should be completing an EIC so codes are not relevent.

You need to decide whether to leave it as is and note on the cert or push the client to agree to fix it.

Welcome to the real world!

Indeed. Get used to NOTHING being textbook (unless you become one of these guys who call themselves electricians and just pull cables in on newbuilds everyday).

I did an EICR recently and the cooker hood was fed off the cooker circuit, but there was a FCU in the circuit and I didn't consider this an issue due to the promimity of the FCU to the cooker isolator.

I did an EICR recently and the cooker hood was fed off the cooker circuit, but there was a FCU in the circuit and I didn't consider this an issue due to the promimity of the FCU to the cooker isolator.

You mean that it was fused down within 3M of where it joined the larger cable? :)

Ahh my mistake for stating you should code it, didn't read the OP properly. Surely before you changed the CU how much testing did you do?

Hard to spot a spur when doing a global test before a CU change. Just one of those "extras" we have to mention to the customer prior to starting the job. :)
At least the op is testing properly, and not just doing the bare minimum as many do after such a change.

Ok, there is 6mm to a socket then into the cooker connection unit.

I then do the checks and in the alcove seperating the toilet and the kitchen; is a 2.5 spur in trunking feeding another double socket. This double socket is for freezer and washing machine.

At first glance one would expect that it was spurred from the kitchen ring. This is not the case, it turns out this is also off of cooker circuit. There is no fuse connection unit either. The problem is he was not bothered about even upgrading his board. I asked him so that I had a weighty job for the NICEIC. Now he sees this as a head ake more than a favour; I mean imagine that caring out all this work for free and its not even considered a good thing.

I kind of been thinking though,I am gonna do a Career change. The only love I have left is finding and rectifying the faults.

Thank you for all the replies. I have left the job as it is with a 40 amp breaker, the client is fully aware of the risks. Serious though Applied for few caring jobs. ;)

JS

Ok, there is 6mm to a socket then into the cooker connection unit.

I then do the checks and in the alcove seperating the toilet and the kitchen; is a 2.5 spur in trunking feeding another double socket. This double socket is for freezer and washing machine.

At first glance one would expect that it was spurred from the kitchen ring. This is not the case, it turns out this is also off of cooker circuit. There is no fuse connection unit either. The problem is he was not bothered about even upgrading his board. I asked him so that I had a weighty job for the NICEIC. Now he sees this as a head ake more than a favour; I mean imagine that caring out all this work for free and its not even considered a good thing.

I kind of been thinking though,I am gonna do a Career change. The only love I have left is finding and rectifying the faults.

Thank you for all the replies. I have left the job as it is with a 40 amp breaker, the client is fully aware of the risks. Serious though Applied for few caring jobs. ;)

JS

That's like jumping from one thankless task into another.

Respect to you though. ;)

Don't lose heart mate ! & really lads, scaremongering about prison isnt helping! I think on reflection I would have bunged it on a 32 if its mostly in 6mm , the spurred socket in 2 five is then pretty much same as a spur off a ring, kind of almost complies in a twisted kinda way...

How does a radial 2.5 with a maximum current carrying capacity of 27A at best comply with BS7671? You got a reg for that?

sometimes a little fear will help. If he's been a total arse and unreasonable and a generally not nice I would nip back tomorrow telling him I need to put some stickers on the board. Quickly swap to a 20A MCB and wait for the phone call when it trips.

Reply to Help with test and inspection. in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net