Discuss help with testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net

J

jasonmizen

hi guys! im doing testing in work with my boss in preperation for my am2. when i do insulation resistance test on my lighting circuit it comes back with a test result of greater than 500 megohms but when i reconnect the circuit into the mcb and earth and neutral into the terminals i then tested it again and had a reading of 179.3 megohms and the reading slowly went up to greater than 500 megohms!!!. when i asked my boss he said this reading is ok because it gets to 500 megohms any other better diagnosis? its on a new build house and i've taken all the equipment out that would interfere with testing eg lamps. any help is much appriceated.

There could well be some parallel paths somewhere, even wet plaster.
179.3MΩ is well in excess of the 2MΩ required though so I wouldn't worry about it too much.

ok thanks novus that helps i understand now. i think im used to seeing greater than 500megohms pop straight up all the time when i do get a reading of 179.3 i panic a bit lol i guess it comes with experience :)

I would say wet plaster may be causing these low readings, especially if it gets >500 Megohms eventually.

Plaster can take some days to dry, and with it being a new build house, can take some time for all the water to come out of the house, which can affect the readings of an Insulation Resistance test.

these houses were plastered a good 6-7 weeks ago. i have a 2g switch in the hall which has strappers from upstairs and strappers with switch live from the hallway light do you think it would give me a low reading if the switch live was connected in with the hallway strappers. as these are on 2 different circuits could this create the parallel paths?

but why is it when i disconnect the circuit from the mcb and the earth and neutral bar i get greater than 500 megohms but as soon as it is connected back to the earth and neutral bar it gives me a reading 0f 179 megohms and rises slowly to 500megohms? i tested the other circuits but they all came back 500 megohms. sorry to be a pain but i cant understand it lol

have you tested all other circuits N - E separately with an IR test (not globally), see if you can find if it is another circuit goving you the strange readings?

Reply to help with testing in the Periodic Inspection Reporting & Certification area at ElectriciansForums.net