• IMPORTANT: Please note that nobody on this forum should be seeking from or providing advice to those who are not competent and / or trained and qualified in their field (local laws permitting). There is a discussion thread on this global industry-wide matter HERE. This also has more information about the warning with regards to sharing electrical advice in some countries. By using this forum you do so in agreement to this.

Discuss Help with wiring a double light dimmer switch and a single please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

G

Georgi_Mar

Hello,

I am not an electrician but I want to change my light switches and I have experienced a problem as I didn’t take a picture of how they were wired before. Please help.

I have one double switch in the living room which should be connected to the living room light and the bedroom light and a single switch in the bedroom just for the bedroom. So technically, the bedroom light should have a two way switch (I live in a studio flat).

I am having difficulties to wire those. Please help me if you can.

I have attached two pics of the switches and have labelled them.

If anyone can help, it would be very much appreciated.

Many thanks in advance.

George

Help with wiring a double light dimmer switch and a single please Fin Final_3 - EletriciansForums.net

OK. start with the switch in the living room. you have a twin/E and a 3 core/E

1.the T/E: connect to 1 switch, red to C and black to L1. (living room light)

2. the 3 core to the 2nd switch:: yellow to C , red to L1, blue to L2 ( 2 way for bedroom)

bedroom switch.

1.connect the Yellow,Red,Blue same as the 3 core in the living room 3 core.

2. put the red and black in L1 and L2, red with red and black with blue.

if the new switches are metal, then fit fly leads from the back box earth terminal to the earth terminals on the switches. sleeve with green/yellow sleeving.

Thanks a lot. I will try it tonight and let you know. It seems pretty straight forward.

And yes, the switches are metal so I will do the final step as well.

Thanks again for your help

on the living room switch, the black looks a bit dodgy. if you can't cut it back a bit, use some sleeving ( preferably red, as it's a switched live). trim ends where needed so as not to show exposed copper conductor outside of the terminals.

Good to see nice friendly advice - I was expecting to see some unpleasant comments on here.
OP, let us know how you get on. And remember as said above to MAKE SURE THE POWER IS OFF.

Reply to Help with wiring a double light dimmer switch and a single please in the Lighting Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back