Discuss Hi everyone, new here and need advice about entering the trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

CanElecs

Hi all, I'm looking at entering the electrical trade as I'm going to be made redundant in the near future. Ultimately once I have enough experience I would like to be self employed. Currently I'm thinking of taking a 6 week domestic installer course from Able Skills in Dartford Kent. I'm not expecting to be even remotely ready to complete jobs on my own for awhile and I need experience with a professional. I have basic skills in many trades and qualifications in plant operation.
Should I bother with this course?
Any advice would be greatly appreciated,
many thanks.

Canelecs, get on the search button and go through a few of the threads that have change of career in the title. There are lots of threads and great advice awaiting your googley eyes.
Have fun and welcome to the forum

Canelecs, get on the search button and go through a few of the threads that have change of career in the title. There are lots of threads and great advice awaiting your googley eyes.
Have fun and welcome to the forum
Thanks Rpa07, I started reading as much as I could before I left for work last night. Lots more to read...

Hi PEG, I have my CPCS on 360 above and below 10tons and I've driven dumpers quite a lot too. Also I have a lot of time on agricultural tractors.

Hi bud,i had 13 classes on my ticket,at one point,including hyd/crawler cranes to 300T...anywho...i would caution against thinking a fast-track course,with little previous specific input,will come close to readying you for the S.E world of sparking.

Any man,can do anything - determination trumps all-that is a fact.

My personal view,not knowing you,or your circumstances,would be to pursue any desired trade,while keeping bread on the table,with a variation of your existing skills.

There are many jobs requiring operated plant,and additional hands-on duties,which you could probably explore. The piling job,drains mapping and jetting,street lighting,etc

I have,in the past,pulled lads from one job,to what looked like a different trade,but knowing their aptitude would cross over and bloom.

Just be VERY careful whilst listening to any short course sales person,they will maybe not lie,but will be economical in the extreme,regarding all the many,many other subjects not delivered,which you will certainly require,to survive (and i chose that word deliberately) any venture in the S.E electrical field.

Just as an aside,i have wrote and delivered training courses,in the past,so can speak with a tad of authority,and if i was to design an electrical course for new entrants,to a level where they may confidently enter the market,it would be a minimum,of 3 to 4 years ;)

...and without a shadow of a doubt,if entrants wanted S.E as a result of passing,the last 4 weeks,that's 20 x 8 hours of lectures,would solely be concerned with psychology,sociology and philosophy- coz without that,the great British public can macerate a person :(

Thank you PEG for your cautionary yet positive response. I totally agree that no fast track course will make you ready for any trade, nor am I expecting to come out of the course ready to rewire houses and run my own company.

I do hope that one of these courses will allow me to get a foot in the door. While I may not have the experience of being a sparky, I do have great enthusiasm for the trade, I love learning while actually being helpful and getting the job done both safely and to a deadline. Long hours don't scare me, as long as I'm enjoying the work, bring on 12 or more hour days! And I'm not offended if someone says I'm doing something wrong, (which is all too common these days).

Luckily or unluckily my current job pays near minimum income. Any even low paid electricians mate or labourer/plant operator job will be an improvement. I'm more looking for a career change to get out of a dead end job. Any increase in pay will be a bonus but not the driving factor.

I can't agree with you more regarding your last point. I'm originally from Canada, been living here for 5 years now. And only now can I understand how the average Briton behaves. Still nowhere near figuring out the why! It's a very different and harsher culture on this side of the pond. I'm thankful I've had the chance to experience it though. Any society will make you crumble if you're not ready, especially if you are in a trade.

I can't thank you enough for your advice PEG. I hope I will get my chance soon. Cheers again! :)

Reply to Hi everyone, new here and need advice about entering the trade in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock