Discuss Hi guys, new member here needing advice on workshop wiring. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

I will check my earthing type but I think it's either TNS or TNCS.
Regarding the 10mm cable it runs through my loft space and where it connected to the original shower isolator it will be now going into a junction box and connecting to a black round double insulated 10mm 3 core cable that runs to the workshop.
As my workshop is only 3.4M the black 10mm will be dropped through my soffit and clipped to the house wall for approx 1.5M's before it goes into the workshop.
Where will you be putting the JB, Will it be MF, why use 10mm2 flexible cable, never seen double insulated cable, seen cable that is insulated with a PVC outer sheath though.

Won't need to be MF in a loft space.
Maybe not, but wouldn't fancy crawling about in all that fiber glass to check a JB with 10mm2 cables better MF imo but as you say not required.

I will check my earthing type but I think it's either TNS or TNCS.
Regarding the 10mm cable it runs through my loft space and where it connected to the original shower isolator it will be now going into a junction box and connecting to a black round double insulated 10mm 3 core cable that runs to the workshop.
As my workshop is only 3.4M the black 10mm will be dropped through my soffit and clipped to the house wall for approx 1.5M's before it goes into the workshop.
This is not swa cable is it ?.Not sure what you are using as a junction box that would be rated 40A+ or will take 10mm cable outer sheath included.

Last edited by a moderator:
I have just had a look and we have a PME TNCS system.

The 10mm round cable is just 3 core with a PVC outer so sorry I called it double insulated.
The cranes and straddle carriers I work on usually use this type of cable on motors and heavy draw equipment and PVC singles in trunking for PLC/ control gear etc.

The junction box I was going to use is like this one:-
Click 60A Junction Box 3 Terminal (WA222) - https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/60a-junction-box-3-terminal-i-brown.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPSovvzU1QIVbL7tCh0zbwVpEAQYByABEgIrA_D_BwE

I have just had a look and we have a PME TNCS system.

The 10mm round cable is just 3 core with a PVC outer so sorry I called it double insulated.
The cranes and straddle carriers I work on usually use this type of cable on motors and heavy draw equipment and PVC singles in trunking for PLC/ control gear etc.

The junction box I was going to use is like this one:-
Click 60A Junction Box 3 Terminal (WA222) - https://www.electrical2go.co.uk/60a-junction-box-3-terminal-i-brown.html?utm_source=google_shopping&gclid=EAIaIQobChMImPSovvzU1QIVbL7tCh0zbwVpEAQYByABEgIrA_D_BwE
Can't see anything wrong with that screw it a good foot up on one of the roof trusses so it don't get trodden on & as said try to get cable above roof insulation so not to de-rate.

Reply to Hi guys, new member here needing advice on workshop wiring. in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock