Discuss Hi, new guy here & some help needed with RCDs in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Sooby2

-
Reaction score
Hi,

Just qualified City & Guilds 4555, 2393, 2382 and (EAL) 2394 with Able Skills in January and now a full time handyman - I have no intention of ever rewiring a house, just doing the smaller jobs.

I'm looking to practice at home first and my garage needs a rewire. I'm happy with the requirements, but I'm having some difficulty with the differentiation in the main (upstream) consumer unit. I have a Wylex CCU (10 way) with two 30ma RCDs and one spare space on each.

I have bought a 5 way Wylex unit for the garage that also has a 30ma RCD on it.

If I'm correct I should use a time-delayed form of protection in the main consumer unit, but I don't have room to fit another RCD, so I looked into RCBOs and came up with a 100ma RCBO Square-D-KQE132C10 on eBay (I can't get the link to work properly)

Will this do the job correctly or will the 30ma RCD it's under trip first anyway?

Many thanks for the help. Stu

Last edited:
I have a TNS system and it will be 4mm 3 core SWA clipped to a fence. In the house it will be under floorboards, with plenty of space around it (two feet between floor and the ground).

I want RCD in the garage as I want to fit an external socket for use in the garden and secondly, if there is a problem with something, I don't want to trek all the way back into the house (25 metres away) every time to reset the RCD there.

I want RCD in the garage as I want to fit an external socket for use in the garden and secondly, if there is a problem with something, I don't want to trek all the way back into the house (25 metres away) every time to reset the RCD there.

Which doesn't answer the question of why your submain needs RCD protection?

Which doesn't answer the question of why your submain needs RCD protection?

OK, please explain why it doesn't - which would make life much easier I guess? If I don't need it, I can take it out. I'm going by what was demonstrated on my recent course, which was as I have described and I assumed it was correct.

And the board is high integrity.

OK, please explain why it doesn't - which would make life much easier I guess? If I don't need it, I can take it out. I'm going by what was demonstrated on my recent course, which was as I have described and I assumed it was correct.

I don't know whether it does or doesn't as I have not visitited the property and looked at the job, which is why I asked why it needs it.
You wouldn't normally expect a submain on a TNS supply to need RCD protection.

The earthing arrangement and installation method doesn't require 30mA RCD protection for the distribution circuit. The final circuits will be covered by the RCD in the garage board. Having a high integrity board means you can feed the distribution circuit from a non RCD protected way. Doing it this way means you wont have RCD's in series with lack of discrimination. The only discrimination issue you would have would be having to circuit breakers in series of a similar current rating but you'll have to decide if that's going to be an issue and if it is look at a way of providing over current protection for the distribution circuit with a fuse or similar. Are there any extraneous conductive parts within the garage that will require bonding?

Leesparky, thanks for the advice. I'll look into it and see what I can do with the main board. I've already bonded the steel frame and metal doors of the garage several years ago, but I have a very old (as in ancient) fuse box in there that needs replacing.

Leesparky, thanks for the advice. I'll look into it and see what I can do with the main board. I've already bonded the steel frame and metal doors of the garage several years ago, but I have a very old (as in ancient) fuse box in there that needs replacing.
Are they actually extraneous conductive parts tho? Where have the bonds been connected to? If they've been connected to the earth marshalling terminal in the garage board that is using the TNS earthing arrangement then the CPC of the 4mm armoured cable is not of an adequate CSA to form part of a bonding conductor.

If values permit fit a c type MCB in the first board , therefore a overload should trip the b type in garage unit fist
The earthing arrangement and installation method doesn't require 30mA RCD protection for the distribution circuit. The final circuits will be covered by the RCD in the garage board. Having a high integrity board means you can feed the distribution circuit from a non RCD protected way. Doing it this way means you wont have RCD's in series with lack of discrimination. The only discrimination issue you would have would be having to circuit breakers in series of a similar current rating but you'll have to decide if that's going to be an issue and if it is look at a way of providing over current protection for the distribution circuit with a fuse or similar. Are there any extraneous conductive parts within the garage that will require bonding?

A circuit breaker is not going provide good discrimination but a type C, assuming fault protection is maintained is the best option and they are not critical circuits should the wrong one trip.

Reply to Hi, new guy here & some help needed with RCDs in the The Welcome Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net