Discuss hiding cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

"Hello hightower & rolyberkin",

How do You playback CCTV video on your Monitor / TV using the DVR remote control or use the remote control to do other things on the CCTV DVR ?

My CCTV DVR is controlled by a remote control for playing back CCTV video / downloading CCTV video files / setting the Time etc. so it has to be accessible to the TV while using the remote control to do those various things.

I know that there are IR `Sender` units available for use with Sky boxes etc. but I have never given them any thought for remote controlling my CCTV DVR - for example allowing me to locate it in the Loft ?

Regards,

Chris

Mine is a power over ethernet (POE) system so I can access it via the network and can watch via ipad etc, the novelty of actually looking at the thing i found to be short lived, it sits in my loft hidden away to be looked at as and when i need it. The joy of POE is it is relatively easy to hide the cables. I once had a system similar to the poster where eight years ago when I built my house I put all my AV was in a cupboard upstairs controlled by remote senders. I had the same issue of you are mentioning re remote senders, yes they send but if you cannot see what you are controlling you are constantly guessing what is happening.

Mine is a Swann kit, so shotgun cable. I set up the box downstairs on a monitor (IP address etc) and then chucked it in the loft. Doesn't have a monitor on it up there, but it is plugged in to the home network so I can access on laptop/ipad/phone using the app, and any settings can also be set remotely. Shouldn't need physical access to the box ever again now.

"Hello rolyberkin & hightower",

Thanks very much for your replies.

Having read the descriptions I realise how `behind the times` I am in not wanting / needing a Smart phone / ipad etc. - regarding the facilities that they provide.

I have a Swann system with 6 wired Cameras and although they are `Internet accessible` if I wanted to set that up I have never had good enough reason to do so - if I used a Smart phone I would have set up Internet access but not just to be able to view my CCTV Cameras very rarely on a Computer / Laptop.

As 2 of the CCTV Cameras are dedicated to watch my Car / Van / Gateway and I have had many problems with people reversing into my Car while trying to park in spaces that are too small for their vehicles I frequently have to be able to playback `incidents` - we also have all sorts of people coming in our gateway looking to see if there is anything worth taking from the front garden / scrap etc. - or perhaps using that as an excuse to look at the ground floor windows / front door etc. ?

I have the DVR`s installed in a Laptop safe [holes drilled for Camera cables] which is really well secured to a solid wall and to a heavy chest of drawers - I just have the Safe door open to use the remote controls and I close / lock it when I go out.

The Laptop Safe is bolted onto the heavy chest of drawers [40mm solid wood top] and screwed to the solid wall with 4 x 160mm Coach screws + 30mm washers tripled up on each coach screw internally to prevent `pull through` if a lever / bar was used - and I have an Alarm - so in theory it would take too much time / need heavy tools [crowbar / club hammer / cold chisel / wood chisel etc.] for a Burglar to remove it with the Alarm sounding.

Thanks again for your replies - I really appreciate them.

Regards,

Chris

Chris, just a quick response to something you said as I'm on my way out the door, but it's unbelievably easy to review footage using the iPad/iPhone app on the Swann system, and easier still (one button click) to be able to download the reviewed footage to your device and then share with relevant persons.

Chris, just a quick response to something you said as I'm on my way out the door, but it's unbelievably easy to review footage using the iPad/iPhone app on the Swann system, and easier still (one button click) to be able to download the reviewed footage to your device and then share with relevant persons.

"Hello hightower",

Thanks for your reply.

When I commented that I felt a bit `behind the times` because I don`t have a Smart phone / iphone or ipad - it is not because I am concerned that I would not be able to use one of those items - it is because I would have no use for them - apart from perhaps viewing my CCTV DVR video footage.

Because of that I could never justify the cost of buying something that I would hardly ever use.

I am sure that like many of my friends You and many other Members do use iphones / other Smart phones / ipads / the Apps for various things Workwise / Socially / at Home - but I have never had any `good reason` to want either a Smart phone / ipad etc.

I know that if I did have a GOOD reason to buy for example a Smart phone that I would probably find other `Uses` / facilities that would be handy in life but I get on O.K. with a decent Sony Ericsson mobile phone - a Nikon Digital Camera - a Desktop PC and a Laptop - and viewing my CCTV video by just playing it back on a TV.

Thanks again for your replies.

Regards,

Chris

Hi Chris. You don't need an iphone or a tablet. As long as your DVR is on your network then you can view and download any footage from your PC. This is what I do. I don't have a monitor connected to my DVR.

Daz

Hi Chris. You don't need an iphone or a tablet. As long as your DVR is on your network then you can view and download any footage from your PC. This is what I do. I don't have a monitor connected to my DVR.

Daz

"Hello Daz",

Thanks for your reply - Sorry that I have not replied sooner I have only just seen the Forum reply notification email.

I did know that my Swann DVR / Cameras could be set up to be viewed over the Internet - but apart from when I might be away on Holiday in the UK and perhaps wanting to be able to view my Cameras etc. from a Laptop [I would not take a Laptop abroad] I would really have no use for that.

As I get older we don`t travel anything like as much as we used to - either abroad or in the UK.

If I / We were younger and had more Holidays / travelled more often I would probably want to upgrade my Alarm to a system that has a `Telephone number Dialler` to send texts to my mobile and other Family members in the event of an Alarm / Break-in [my current Alarm cannot have this added] and I would also add additional CCTV Cameras inside my Home.

If those items were added I would then configure my CCTV DVR to be connected to the Internet / to be able to be viewed via the Internet and then I probably would have a Smart phone to be able to access the CCTV if alerted by a text from my Alarm system or after a call from neighbours.

Thanks again for your interest Daz and for replying to me.

Regards,

Chris

My dvr is also in the loft..best place for it..

"Hello Golden_Boy",

I assume that all of Us that have CCTV systems also have Alarm systems so any Burglar who managed to break in to our Homes would never want to spend any time trying to find the CCTV DVR with the hopefully `deafening` sound of the Alarm sirens inside and outside the property.

I am guessing that most would be aware that it would probably be located in the Loft or in some cases just in a Cupboard - in my case housed in a Laptop Safe which is really well secured to a solid wall and a very heavy piece of furniture.

We are obviously sensible in NOT having the CCTV DVR `on show` / available to be ripped out and taken away.

Regards,

Chris

Reply to hiding cables in the UK Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net