Discuss Hive - Should I need to do HW & CH, or should CH do nothing?? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

C

Chris M

Hi Fellas, I've had a sniff around the forum and can't find a conclusive answer..

I've had Hive installed a couple of years ago and I'm starting to question if it's wired correctly or if it's just how my system works since I now know a few people who have it installed.

When I call CH, I have to also put on HW separately. Calling HW only does not turn on CH you'd expect. I'm not certain how the system worked pre Hive as we had it installed the week we moved in.

I've tried to read up on fully pumped vs gravity vs part pumped/ Y plan without HW off and the like but I'm no clearer on my set up. Below is a picture of the receiver wiring that shows there are 5 wires, but they're into 3 positions.

At the time the wife told me the installer said he'd had loads of trouble making it work but had got there in the end..

View attachment 35070

View attachment 35071

Hi guys, missus has banned me from banging around the kids bedrooms till the morning!

(There a blue pump in there under the floor.

One thing that I couldn't identify is a black plastic box that appears to just sit 'on' a pipe that's got mains power to it with the word Range on it! (Took a pic of that earlier)

I'll kick proper pics in the morning.

Thanks all

View attachment 35072

Hi all,

Airing cupboard pics attached..
The pipe going in to the roof isn't connected - kind of looks like a sealed system looking at it but I don't know much!

Under the raised floor there are 2 pumps which I photo if needed but need to do a little dismantling - one is older. I've only caught the newer looking one of them running but we do have 3 power showers each with own pump so not a clue if one is 'support'?

I also notice when in the garage (near boiler) that boiler pressure was low (in the red) so assumed I could top up easily but there appears to be no loop and a sticker with 'direct cylinder' written on it!

(And in one of the colder rooms in an extension appears to have a cold outflow pipe despite rad getting hot but one thing at a time!!) :)

Thanks again.

View attachment 35073

View attachment 35074

View attachment 35075

View attachment 35076

Hi, there was just a large time clock there but we whipped it out not long after moving in over 2 years ago so don't remember to be honest :-/

I'm curious as I've never seen a diagram which groups 3 permanent lives (but that's limited to Google in the last week or so :-D).

I'm thinking I'm screwed for unless I pay someone to come and have a look first hand.. I'm comfortable with Electrics generally, but don't want to fry anything in the boiler by guessing!

One of the lives into the hive receiver backplate will be permanent from your fused connection unit, the other two will be going out to other parts of your system. One of them to a wiring centre at a guess and the other who knows without seeing it.
Terminal 3 from your backplate will be the switched live from the receiver for hot water on and terminal 4 will be heating on switched live from the receiver.

I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting your post.

You should have to call for HW separately from CH.

I'm having a bit of trouble interpreting your post.

You should have to call for HW separately from CH.

Really? Perhaps I've been lucky but I've never had to do this prior to this property, and feels very inefficient. (I've never had a combi, always stored water).

Are you saying it's normal to have to always separately schedule my hot water just in case the temperature drops such that a demand on heating is required? Surely I'm heating water for no purpose?

Just to be clear, if I don't schedule hot water and ge heating comes on it just pumps cold water around.

And just add more weirdness which might help...

If I have a full tank of hot water that could do a bath, if I turn the heating on the radiators go immediately hot and use all the hot water which means no bath for 15 minutes till the system has heated more!

It sounds like it's wired up as a gravity system, hot water fires the boiler and heating operates a pump.

I'd say you'll need a decent plumber and electrician to work out what bodgery has been done and how to fix it.

It sounds like it's wired up as a gravity system, hot water fires the boiler and heating operates a pump.

I'd say you'll need a decent plumber and electrician to work out what bodgery has been done and how to fix it.

Booooo feared that might be the case..

In any particular order or find two guys and get them both to rock up at the same time?

Would pics on the wiring near the cylinder help at all or too much to remotely diagnose?

What you have there is a thermal store. One pump operates the flow from the boiler and the other pump is for the heating. A thermal store like you have should ideally maintain its temperature 24/7. It works opposite to the way you think it would as the water in the cylinder heats the coil that the water passes through so you have mains pressure hot water.

Reply to Hive - Should I need to do HW & CH, or should CH do nothing?? in the Central Heating Systems area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock