Discuss hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

If she had a bit of overheating of the insulation caused by a loose/bad connection,the spark has bared it back and put a new/bigger switch on and tested,why would anyone think there will be future problems ?

He seems to have done what most would have done
If he did not, what else was he supposed to have done in addition to the above ?

If he was engaged after she posted and attended quickly,why on the one hand do we hear how underated and underpaid we are, and on the hand start talking down call out fees etc

She seems to have had good service, at short notice, at a difficult time of year
How many of you question inflated taxi fares etc at this time of year and dont bat an eyelid

Des,
We are not disputing that the electrician has sorted the problem. However, the explanation of what the cause was is in question.

for what it is worth, i always tell my clients, with regard to shower switches, that the switch is an isolator and best left i n the on position. turn the shower on and off with the shower controls. each time the switch is operated with a load on, it will arc, causing premature failure.
My thoughts were the same as yours TT regarding arcs. I replied to her other thread earlier today with the same. My children took to using the isolator as an on/off switch rather than get their arms wet turning on a cold shower while it warmed up - four children with two having two showers a day! Soooooo, if I was called out I would have asked that question and then after test and repair explained that this isolater is NOT an simple on/off switch.

Fair comment on the fault issue being the subject

Anyway, I am going to have a stab at being Liet Columbo :)

Well, seing as its a fixed load and there didn't appear to be mention of the overcurrent doing its bit,the cable is rated for the shower,its not too long a distance, not covered in itchy stuff and not burnt or overheated along its length.it would be reasonable to suspect that a poor terminal connection was made, and when the replacement was put into use,they re used the poor conductors for connection again, consequence, switch burns out once more
New switch fitted,conductors stripped back for cool copper,terminals tight and long may it live

I suspect the question could be,did she just fit a new switch (previously) to the burnt copper cores

Fair comment on the fault issue being the subject

Anyway, I am going to have a stab at being Liet Columbo :)

Well, seing as its a fixed load and there didn't appear to be mention of the overcurrent doing its bit,the cable is rated for the shower,its not too long a distance, not covered in itchy stuff and not burnt or overheated along its length.it would be reasonable to suspect that a poor terminal connection was made, and when the replacement was put into use,they re used the poor conductors for connection again, consequence, switch burns out once more
New switch fitted,conductors stripped back for cool copper,terminals tight and long may it live

I suspect the question could be,did she just fit a new switch (previously) to the burnt copper cores

Well done Sherlock Ohms,
Impressive...most impressive! I have underestimated the power of your force. I have seen the future, and I'm going to make it into bed now....lol :)

for what it is worth, i always tell my clients, with regard to shower switches, that the switch is an isolator and best left i n the on position. turn the shower on and off with the shower controls. each time the switch is operated with a load on, it will arc, causing premature failure.

Like wise. I also whenever possible fit a 100a DP isolator on occasions where they dont or wont have an unsightly pullcord or red switch on show. When the isolator is fitted in airing cupboards etc.

Des I'm with you. The spark she had in has solved the problem...end of!!! You see these programs with Matt Alright about tradesmen ripping people off, there's nothing saying this guy could have taken her to the cleaners if he'd wanted telling her all sorts of stories, instead an honest tradesman come's in and sorts the problem out. :D

Again I wasn't commenting on the sparks integrity or willingness to do the job, just the nature of the problem.
But looks like you've came out with a logical explanation Des. 

IMO she must have got what she vues as value for money as I recon Carol would have been on forum askin if she had been ripped off if she thought she was

my take on it is originals s/w was 20 a d/pole isolator .this is to small [single box] for a 7.5kw shower. will over heat with time. the sparks has fitted [large double box] 45a d/pole isoator job done ?

Reply to hiya new to this but needing help as my electrician has let me down....... in the Industrial Electrician Talk area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock