Discuss HNC electrical engineering project help in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net

Reaction score
Hi, I'm currently in the 2nd year of my electrical engineering HNC and trying to complete my project but feel like I'm going in circles.
My premise is that I'm replacing 35 fluorescent lights that are energised for 24 hours per day for LED fittings and a new switching arrangement containing PIR sensors and possibly a contactor. The aim being to show the reduction in running costs and increased energy efficiency.
Does this seem like a strong enough idea? I keep getting caught in 2 minds that it is, and then isn't. And it's also not something I can actually install, which is proving to be an issue.
Not sure if there is anything I could change it to at this late stage (about 2-3 months left), or if anyone has any ideas to make my project better??
Only other thoughts were to maybe set up a fault finding test board for electrical students, which could be relatively simple to achieve??
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.

Hi, I'm currently in the 2nd year of my electrical engineering HNC and trying to complete my project but feel like I'm going in circles.
My premise is that I'm replacing 35 fluorescent lights that are energised for 24 hours per day for LED fittings and a new switching arrangement containing PIR sensors and possibly a contactor. The aim being to show the reduction in running costs and increased energy efficiency.
Does this seem like a strong enough idea? I keep getting caught in 2 minds that it is, and then isn't. And it's also not something I can actually install, which is proving to be an issue.
Not sure if there is anything I could change it to at this late stage (about 2-3 months left), or if anyone has any ideas to make my project better??
Only other thoughts were to maybe set up a fault finding test board for electrical students, which could be relatively simple to achieve??
Any thoughts would be much appreciated.
I think it's not a bad Idea.

Give an abstract or summary of what your project entails.
Detail the calculations and their basis.
State any assumptions made.
List any sources you used to get data that supports your case.

I think it's not a bad Idea.

Give an abstract or summary of what your project entails.
Detail the calculations and their basis.
State any assumptions made.
List any sources you used to get data that supports your case.
Thanks, that's where I'm struggling - the report side of things. Feel like I'm over complicating the report to compensate for it being a fairly simple idea. I've basically calculated the running costs of the existing system and compared that to my proposal, with a few graphs thrown in. Not sure what else is required??

Thanks, that's where I'm struggling - the report side of things. Feel like I'm over complicating the report to compensate for it being a fairly simple idea. I've basically calculated the running costs of the existing system and compared that to my proposal, with a few graphs thrown in. Not sure what else is required??
Maybe show the basis for your calculations. What is your source for claiming better efficiency? How would you validate it?

Just some thoughts....

Any paper project I was involved in required an Installation and Maintenance Manual, you know the sort of thing :schematics:descriptions of the equipment used, lighting, PIRs, Contactors, tyoes of cable used, basically a manual describing how and why you opted for what you have decided on, to allow any future engineers involved in any Maintenance issues can refer to the Manual, make it as comprehensive as you can, and good luck

You might throw in some of the complexities of LED in terms of initial draw currents, albeit micro seconds, and consideration of switching gear and the need for current limiting devices and blind them with science. There is a lot of considerations in just those areas alone if you care to put your magnifying glass on it. For instance relays weld shut sometimes with initial draw currents. Also consideration of emergency lighting and standby lighting in an LED context compared and contrasted with Flourescent equivalents.

You might throw in some of the complexities of LED in terms of initial draw currents, albeit micro seconds, and consideration of switching gear and the need for current limiting devices and blind them with science. There is a lot of considerations in just those areas alone if you care to put your magnifying glass on it. For instance relays weld shut sometimes with initial draw currents. Also consideration of emergency lighting and standby lighting in an LED context compared and contrasted with Flourescent equivalents.
Thanks, I wasn't really aware of those issues with LEDs. Just had a quick look online and feel that's something I could delve into and use for some technical information.

Just a few initial thoughts:
Your primary cost saving would be the longevity of the LEDs compared to the fluorescent tubes.
The lifetime comparison would be a useful reference to include, this should also cover the lumen maintenance factors, as LEDs tend to be better at retaining light intensity over time.
There may be some energy reduction if you were starting with T8 tubes so this can be factored in as well.
The switching arrangements will provide the most energy saving, but since the lights are currently operated 24 hours per day you would also need to provide justification and safety considerations for when when certain areas are not illuminated to show that the energy saving was not at the cost of increasing hazard.
Consideration of presence or absence detection may be a valid point here as well.

I'm wondering whether I can simplify things quite a bit and just make the basis of the project the PIR sensors and forget about LED lighting. Keep the premise of providing a new switching arrangement for 35 lights that are fed straight from mains, and install 2x PIR sensors (1 above 2 doorways in the room). The 35 light fittings are spread across 3 circuits so could make the PIR's the control circuit for a 3-phase lighting contactor. I can make up a practice board to simulate the arrangement. Allows me to research a few components and provide some technical info.
Does this seem too simple? College do not seem to offer much help!

Reply to HNC electrical engineering project help in the Electrical Engineering Chat area at ElectriciansForums.net