Discuss home theatre network in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

P

Phillcbr400

Happy new year everyone
I'm in the process of renovating my first home. 3 bed house with Open living room and dinning. I'm going to be installing the cabling for a home theatre system as i rewire. Ill give you and idea of the end product/system I am after: I want to be able to have a htpc on my downstairs tv and control it all via a wireless keyboard and mouse in one.
Ill be using the upstairs small room cupboard as a rack/computer store (with ventilation).
Inside here ill have the HTPC, switches , patch panel, router maybe Xbox.
In the future I want the 2 bedrooms to able to access the main htpc. For now I just need to know what cables to install and ill think about equipment later on. Future proof comes to mind here.
So I've got upto (all in cat6). Ports for
Smart TV
Console
Hdmi over cat6 which takes 2 connections
USB for wireless control.

I'm thinking of fitting 6 gang rg45 in cat6
2 x hdmi's in a 1gang socket
1xcoax
This is in every room should I be installing anything else? I am a novice with regards to this.
Thanks for your time and any help

What would be needed for my to play music through an AV receiver from the htpc upstairs? Could it not all be accessed via network and fed from the tv? Or is there a better way?

I want to eventually have a bank a films/music on a storage device that I just pick at anytime on any tv or just surf the net.
For that hd connectivity do you just plug in your sources and what ever is running everyone can see or is it an individual setup. I,e upstairs bedroom watching sky and downstair playing on the Xbox?
Still it looks like something which might fit the bill. Thanks

Yeah each point can be watching the same thing or individual things like one tv for sky, one xbox, one bluray.I've just got an lg 3d smart tv and its wireless built in, using a program called plex on the pc and the smart connect on the tv i can watch anything on the tv from the pc via plex, its amazing! The tv also has a full internet browser built in

I take it once a tv has latched onto a source lets say Xbox they then have priority? I wonder if it lets you watch multiple sky channels?
Your setup does sound decent! Can you tap into your stored sources say movies or music and then play then through your tv plus a surround sound system would be decent. That's what I want but times 3. And preferably only one place where all data is kept.

I think you would need two sky boxes with a multiroom subscription to watch different sky channels on different tv's. I've only got the one smart tv at the moment but everything is stored on the mac and the tv plays whatever music or video you want straight from the plex media server, i assume it would work with multiple tv's, i'd like to find that out too as this lg is so good i'm thinking of getting another smaller one for the bedroom. I also have the soundbar with wireless sub and any sound comes straight out of that, sound is pretty good too

I think I need to give HD anywhere a bell and see just what this system is capable of. Ill still need a computer and some form of storage for my movies and how this would tie into that system I don't know.

I have a media player in my Cinema room that connects to an 8 port switch/hub then to a NAS (Network Attached Storage - box with 2 hard drives in). The media player can access all my movies and music that are stored on the NAS. Because the NAS is on the network any computer, laptop, smartphone, tablet that is connected to the network can also access the movies and music.
As for XBox etc. I would guess that would be difficult as you are trying to control a remote XBox. I have no idea how to do that.
I would say you need a NAS and a couple of media players attached to a network.

In fact the raspberrypi (£30 ish) is a matchbox computer that car run free piece of software called XBMC that is a media player. The raspberrypi can be controlled by either remote keyboard and mouse or via a smartphone or tablet.
It would take a bit of setting up but it would be a great media player in each room by just using a cat5/6 cable for little cost.

Reply to home theatre network in the Home Media Centre Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net