Discuss Home wifi network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

S

sparkydanny

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to guarantee wifi around the whole house even in the black spots ?

Access points are good and have use them in the past (ap105) or Cisco but I'm sure they use a different network?

any ideas would be good? I need a professional option not these plug in things from maplin !!

Hi guys just wondering if anyone has any recommendations on how to guarantee wifi around the whole house even in the black spots ?

Access points are good and have use them in the past (ap105) or Cisco but I'm sure they use a different network?

any ideas would be good? I need a professional option not these plug in things from maplin !!
meshnetwork/ repeaters

I use Devolo powerline repeaters and hard wired connections for TV's and our desk top computer.

Depends on the size of the house, the location of the router, the thickness and material of the wall and the number of the steels!

I have a customer that need a guarantee that they have wifi throughout their home they have a large house and pretty standard wall thickness... I was thinking of putting the router in the basement then wiring a wifi repeater to each level in a central point of the landings.... to the TV's and office etc i was going to hard wire back to poe switch in the basement??

just not sure the best repeaters to use as there is sooo much choice !!!

I'm not sure about others but the Devolo ones I use take the same SSID and wifi password from my router so its one "system" to the devices in the house.

As for slowig it down - don't think so but we have fibre speeds!

main router near phone/cable socket, from there cat5 to a couple of places around the property, in there wireless access points
im using open wrt/ dd wrt linux firmware, you can install it on plenty of cheap consumer routers, extends their funcitionality quite a lot.
there is a wiki on open/dd wrt page, with detailed list of supported hardware. you can pick them up on ebay for couple of pounds.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39077

main router near phone/cable socket, from there cat5 to a couple of places around the property, in there wireless access points
im using open wrt/ dd wrt linux firmware, you can install it on plenty of cheap consumer routers, extends their funcitionality quite a lot.
there is a wiki on open/dd wrt page, with detailed list of supported hardware. you can pick them up on ebay for couple of pounds.
https://forum.openwrt.org/viewtopic.php?id=39077
actually its modem next to master point.

not all routers have modems built in.

bthomehubs router is ok usually but there modem is kack

guys im only an electrician.... granted I know a vast amount of things but networking is just something ive never touched on ! please help me as im a little lost..... is there software that I need to upgrade and setup ? I thought it was as simple as running cat5/6 to each point of the repeater and patching into the switch?

guys im only an electrician.... granted I know a vast amount of things but networking is just something ive never touched on ! please help me as im a little lost..... is there software that I need to upgrade and setup ? I thought it was as simple as running cat5/6 to each point of the repeater and patching into the switch?
yes cat5 to each point back to a central point.

using goliath (openwrt gui) or similar will make setting then up as repeaters easier.

you can buy repeaters ready set up

Yes I understand that but I don't understand how you set it all up... Running cables and plugging it all in I'm fine with but once it's connected do I have to program it to sit on the same network... Like fix it an IP address and use cmd to set it all up ??

Yes I understand that but I don't understand how you set it all up... Running cables and plugging it all in I'm fine with but once it's connected do I have to program it to sit on the same network... Like fix it an IP address and use cmd to set it all up ??
no, login to each router through the ip address on the router through your web browser.

some routers are a lot easier to set uo than others so it will be worth looking on an openwrt forum

It's not just about joining 2 routers together, you need to setup SSID, DHCP, SECURITY & IP correctly.

Main router:
I.P Address - 192.168.1.1
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
DHCP - on

2nd router (Access point):

SSID - The same as your main router
Security authentication method the same as your main router
Security encryption type the same as your main router
Security key the same as your main router
I.P Address - 192.168.1.2
Subnet mask - 255.255.255.0
DHCP - off

Make sure you only have 1 DHCP server running on the network as there will be I.P conflicts.

Reply to Home wifi network in the Computer and Networking Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net