Discuss House wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

B

Bally71

Hi All,
Advice needed, we had someone round to modify a tumble dryer but first had to do an earth loop test but when plugging in his tester it kept tripping the switch on the CU. We have had occassional nuisance tripping and have had to unplug some things before being able to reset this.

I have switched off the rcd that seems to be the one causing the probs (35A) and all the sockets in the kitchen and an upstairs bedroom along with boiler, immersion heater and underfloor heating seem to be connected to this.Could this be the problem?

Cheers in advance.....Nick

Hi Bally, and Welcome !
Can I ask who was the someone? Doing an earth loop impedance check with an RCD in place requires a specially adapted bit of test gear, which all Electricians have. So the test may not have been done correctly, or there may be a fault with wiring, or an appliance or the RCD itself. Easy enough to find and fix with the right test kit and procedure, but a bit tough from the keyboard.
I'm not sure why you have turned all your stuff off?

Quite a few times I have had people worried sick when these Gas or Appliance people come along with insufficient knowledge or test gear, each time the dire warnings were not valid

Find yourself a decent spark

Interesting...i had a pal call me,last year,regarding going through EFLI testing procedure...

He has a decent business,domestic repairs,and was going for another contract with a large manufacturer,went on an "induction course",and was informed that they required this "enhanced testing".

He is a grand lad,but not too technically apt re; testing. He was told at the end to not worry if results were out,or not possible.

We determined that this must have been a manufacturers attempt,at method statementing out a liability,after the pyrotechnic drier debacle.

I have met plenty of our legendary white-goods gunslingers,and if one whipped out a brand new 1735,i would be no less shocked,than if the Pets R us delivery guy,shoved a thermometer up me dog's ring o_O

The amount of calls we've had just because Mr John Lewis came with his plugin tester and deemed the installation not fit for purpose. Funnily enough it usually seems to be TT systems, I wonder if their cheap tat returns a failed reading when the earth path is high ohms.

The amount of calls we've had just because Mr John Lewis came with his plugin tester and deemed the installation not fit for purpose. Funnily enough it usually seems to be TT systems, I wonder if their cheap tat returns a failed reading when the earth path is high ohms.
had exactly that situ last year. monkeys refused to connect a new washing machine as their socket tester said efli too high. TT system. Zs was 135 ohms. upfront RCD providing fault protection. DOH !

This is the old fault on new appliances scenario. I had it with Indesit my tumble dryer apparently may catch fire due to a fault in the manufacturing and design. A total Pi**take IMO if it can possibly catch fire and its a fault Indesit has manufactured into there product then come and pickup the tumble dryer replace it with a new designed one that does not have the bloody fault you manufactured instead of sending some so called engineer round to fix a problem that should never of been there in the first place.
Ahhhh Rant over lol

My "observer status" info is the design did not incorporate a high temp cut out. And the fix is to fit one.
Who would have thought that'd be necessary on an appliance that generates heat? And then apparently the right amount of fluff in the filter will cause reduced air flow. Who could have anticipated fluff in a dryer? And that reduced air flow causes temp rise and fluff to ignite. I mean, that couldn't happen could it?
:eek::eek::eek::confused::confused::confused:

You could use a maiden,in the garden,to dry your clothes...but i have it on good authority,some kids around Croxteth,were lighter fluiding folks clothes on the lines,and igniting...

Seems it is a tricky endeavour,to keep ones togs from combusting ;)

Just seeing this now, last month I was at a job, same scenario, hotpoint engineer had been, he found earth reading over 200ohms.

There was no Earth in the house at all, out in the country and old, had a garage and trip added in last decade or so, but no spike had ever been installed. The crazy cat ladies house. There was over 20 cats there. And she was crazy, her husband had rang and left a voicemail, and hadn't hung up correctly, and then you could hear her bellowing at him with a few expletives used lol

Reply to House wiring in the Electrical Forum area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc

Electrical Forum

Welcome to the Electrical Forum at ElectriciansForums.net. The friendliest electrical forum online. General electrical questions and answers can be found in the electrical forum.
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock