Discuss How best to start out in my situation? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

Welcome to ElectriciansForums.net - The American Electrical Advice Forum
Head straight to the main forums to chat by click here:   American Electrical Advice Forum

Reaction score
Hello,
So here is my situation.
I am 27 years old and work for a major telecommunications company and have experience in the engineering side of things so have an idea that electrical engineering is something I'd enjoy BUT no qualifications or experience.
I've had enough of my boring office job staring at screens all day and want to get hands on again.
So why electrical engineering?
Well my brother is a fully qualified electrician and very good at his job. He is thinking about going it alone and starting his own company and there has been talk of me joining him.
So what's my best path to get myself in the position to do this?
I have a mortgage, wife and current 5 day a week job. It needs careful consideration but I am unsure how the link to my brother can help me or if it can at all if he starts his own business.
Any help is appreciated.
Regards,

Hello,
So here is my situation.
I am 27 years old and work for a major telecommunications company and have experience in the engineering side of things so have an idea that electrical engineering is something I'd enjoy BUT no qualifications or experience.
I've had enough of my boring office job staring at screens all day and want to get hands on again.
So why electrical engineering?
Well my brother is a fully qualified electrician and very good at his job. He is thinking about going it alone and starting his own company and there has been talk of me joining him.
So what's my best path to get myself in the position to do this?
I have a mortgage, wife and current 5 day a week job. It needs careful consideration but I am unsure how the link to my brother can help me or if it can at all if he starts his own business.
Any help is appreciated.
Regards,
He could take you on as an Apprentice and get you quals and experience the proper way

start off by keeping your current job. you need regular income. help you bro. at weekends and holidays. get some hands on experience.then consider c&g qualifications. can be done evenings at most colleges.

It will be difficult to finance the both of you when you first start out, unless you are fortunate enough to have a contract or 2 in place with regular work. I would probably advise sticking to your job for now and see how things pan out once your brother has started the company and got a bit established.

You can then see about starting some part time education and maybe work some weekends with your brother or with another spark if you know one.

This way you & your brother won't be under too much pressure to make ends meet, which would most likely put a strain on family relationships.

Successful business's don't come over night, they take time to build from scratch.

Edit: (posted same time as Tel) repeated advice

Well rather than looking at your brother for a way forward how about anticipating his future needs and pedalling like hell now so that when he needs it there you are ready to hit the ground running? Look at this link I always trot out it gives a clear idea of what is needed to be of use to your brother in the future, or should I say partner???, no maybe mate. Morris Services - Getting Started - http://www.morrisservices.co.uk/gettingstarted.asp this will give you a clear idea of entry routes and what is needed. Maybe discuss with your brother/partner/mate of the future to see this will work. Just thinking out loud really.

Thanks all,
Some good advice so far, keep it coming if anyone can offer anything different.
I'm confused by your brother/partner/mate comment Vortigern. I'm 99.9% sure he's my brother, a blood test would confirm the final 0.1% but I don't think that's needed to be ready to 'hit the ground running' with him.
Thanks again

Reply to How best to start out in my situation? in the Electrician Courses : Electrical Quals area at ElectriciansForums.net

OFFICIAL SPONSORS

Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Electrician Courses Green Electrical Goods PCB Way Electrical Goods - Electrical Tools - Brand Names Pushfit Wire Connectors Electric Underfloor Heating Electrician Courses
These Official Forum Sponsors May Provide Discounts to Regular Forum Members - If you would like to sponsor us then CLICK HERE and post a thread with who you are, and we'll send you some stats etc
This website was designed, optimised and is hosted by Untold Media. Operating under the name Untold Media since 2001.
Back
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website. For the best site experience please disable your AdBlocker.

I've Disabled AdBlock